Point n Shoot recommendations

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going on holiday in about 5 weeks time and would rather take a little compact point n shoot with me than my full kit. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not fussed about make or colour, just that it takes semi decent pictures at a decent price (ideally less than £100, but can be flexible!). I've absolutely no idea what's what in the P&S market as I haven't owned one for years.

Just going off to have a look in the Argos catalogue to get some ideas :LOL:

Minimeeze, I've recently bought my wife a Canon A560 7mp and I'm continually being gobsmacked by the quality of pictures it produces - it's a cracking little camera. Currently Warehouse Express has it on offer for £109.

Its a bit over bidget (£170) but the Canon IXUS range seems to be very good, my dad got an IXUS 75 - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/photo/digitalcompact/canon.html#ixus75 - not long ago, and I have been very impressed with it, the auto focus and metering seem to be quicker than the 350D :( It does have no viewfinder though, but my dad has tried the camera out in brigh sunlight in spain and had no problem viewing the LCD screen (which is huge by the way)

Hi

I've had good holiday shots from a Canon ixus 350 I think it was [though it didn't like night shots], and my mum's Nikon Coolpix L2. The latter is just under 100 at amazon, though it may be worth shopping around,

good luck and happy holidays

Helen

I think there was a thread like this in August here, you might want to search for it a bit.

I have a Canon A510 and it's a nice tool, but it's a bit older now and if I was to replace it if it died on me, I'd probably go for a Fuji S6500fd or the Panasonic FZ8. Perhaps a Canon PowerShot S3 IS with a raw hack. The lens they have seem to be still decent, the Fuji has very good noise handling even in jpegs, with the Panasonic, you'll probably get better lens, but not a very good in camera engine (it seems to be rubbish when it comes to noise reduction / detail ratio). The S3 seems to be in the middle between those two.

If you want something that's more compact, then i'd have a look at the Canon PowerShot A640 or maybe a Fuji F40fd (if you can still find it).

What level of manual controls do you demand from your to be little devil?

I have a Canon IXUS 65, it's great for point n' shoot.

Has a nice bit 3-inch screen on the back, does the job perfectly. I always use it for going out (don't want to break any of my SLRs/DSLRs).

The IXUS 65 is discontinued now though, you can get a 75 for about £150 (it's basically the same camera, but 7.1MP instead of 6.0).

I'm still looking, although Dave has just announced that he has a Sony Cybershot stashed away in the spare room somewhere, so if he can find it, and it works ok, I may take that. I need something small and compact, so the Fuji & Panasonic you suggested are too big (we already have a Panasonic FZ50 and it's not much smaller than the Nikon D70). I need something pocket sized :)

Many thanks for all your replies and suggestions!

Panasonic Lumix Fx30.... really nice - especially the night time scenery mode!

I have an IXUS 40 which is pretty old now but still produces great photos and is really small. If you're not bothered about size go for the Canon A range (A550 would be in your budget of 100) or if you can stretch to it the IXUS 70 would be great.

My brother has a Sony and it's pretty sluggish and not particularly user friendly and I've had bad experiences with the cheaper (i.e. under 250) Nikon P&S cameras.

I say go with Canon and depending on how important size is the IXUS or A range.

Good luck and happy holiday!

Back