Point to pointing (Picture added 14/3)

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
I will try in this thread :shrug:

Hi Ya all,
I have the chance to go point to pointing today as was wondering if anyone of you have photographed these before, the horses will be travelling at suite a pace and I will be able to get right on a fence.

When I took them before working at home, (and their paces was a bit slower than the racing pace would be), my settings were,

F.S 7.1
ISO 640
1/400

What would you recommend me to set them on today.

Shall I go A. Focus, and more or less what I have been using to shoot the birds in flight this week or can anyone enlighten me as to what would be the best.

Thank you again for your help.

I really want to get this right today hence why I am asking for help and reassurance :shake:

Hi Nicki. I've not done and point to point, but I've shot a lot of polo. I would say that a widish aperture would be the best to get those shutter speeds up. I used to use aperture priority and ISO of around 800-1000. What lens are you planning on using?

THANK YOU . I will be using my Sigma 120 - 400 as I want to take a few shots approaching and away from fences also.

Servo Focus, since you say you are going to be close you need a faster shutter speed the closer you are to a moving object. Small enough aperture to get sufficient DOF to get all the horse in focus and the ISO to match those requirements. Check your histogram to check exposure is correct. Probably continious shots as well. Pan the subject through the jump.

Have a nice day

Definitely keep the lens wide open then (I'm guessing f5.5 is the max aperture on that lens at 400mm).

One more thing, where is the point to point and will there be cake? :naughty: :D

Kingston Blount and sorry not had time to make a cake this was a bit short notice :shrug:

Will do, as I get free passes to our home meetings so will be going so long as I am not working and there will be cake in return for help :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Will post any decent shots if I get any but don't hold your breath :D Why am I feeling very nervous now, psobably it will all go "tits up" as usual :shrug:

Hi,
Had a great day and even had a feel of the Canon 1ds (I think it was) from a professional made mine look minute, :LOL: and boy can that click :LOL: anyway took loads of piccys and will post a couple soon to see what you think, just off to thaw out and have supper. (y)

Just thought I would add one picture I took yesterday instead of boring you with loads.

It was quite hard but I am glad I have tried it and am itching to do it again to better myself next time.

Found the exposure quite difficult as one minute cloudy the next sunshine, but got me used to changing buttons :LOL:

IMG_9817.jpg

C & C most welcome

I was there yesterday, it was a good days racing but the light was difficult, it looks like you were at the second fence? I was at the third. I`ve got a few photos in the sports forum.

Back