Polarisers and B&W shots

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
What (if any) difference would a polariser make when shooting B&W film? I've just ordered some yellow filters and am waiting for them to arrive, but wondered if there would be any benefit at all from using a polariser.

A B&W film simply 'Counts photons' if you will, as the result is simply a measure of the amount of light incident on the film. So a CP will still make a difference when shooting with this media. I suppose it will act to increase contrast a little? As well as reducing reflections. Remember that the filter comes before the recording media, so it will still have an effect. :)

I used to use a deep 25 red and a polariser when shooting Kodak Tri-X and Ilford HP-5 to deepen the 'grey' of blue-skies. Gives a very 'John Ford western' look to landscapes. You can turn a blue sky almost black with that combo.

And if you don't know what the hell I'm on about, shame on you - go rent or buy the John Ford cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache, Rio Bravo and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) starring John Wayne.

Back