Polarising Filter For Portraiture?

Just looking to see what the general consensus is re polarisers and portraits - most specifically weddings/couples.

Who uses one? Is it worth faffing about with one when, from what I can see, the same results can be achieved in PP (improved saturation, Lightrooms new de-haze filter, etc).

Cheers.
IMHO polarisers are useful for controlling reflections and nowt else worth carrying them for

I don't think throughout the time I've done weddings I've used a poloriser. I cant ever think of a time when a shot was ruined without one or could of been dramatically improved with one.

well then again... If you like taking portraits at the beach and want to cut down some glare then yeah that would be a reason...

I think the only time I've used one at a wedding was when the couple had mentioned in advance that a photo of them inside the car was important for sentimental reasons. So I shot them through the windscreen so I could frame them inside the car.
Other than that, while I can think of uses I think the reality is that I wouldn't normally take the time at a wedding to actually use it.

I think the only time I've used one at a wedding was when the couple had mentioned in advance that a photo of them inside the car was important for sentimental reasons. So I shot them through the windscreen so I could frame them inside the car.
Other than that, while I can think of uses I think the reality is that I wouldn't normally take the time at a wedding to actually use it.

That's a good point about the car windows Mark - the couple had a VW camper van as their wedding car on Saturday and, after a bit of repositioning on my part, I just about managed to avoid the excess glare and get a shot of the bride through the window - so polariser would definitely have helped there.

If you're going out with the intention of shooting through a car window with a polarising filter, be aware that doing so will very likely show up the stress patterns in the windscreen (Due to thermal toughening).
Though probably less likely in "vintage" vehicles.

Just to add my 2p I have never used them for portraiture but I believe as well is that they can increase the saturation (obviously) but this can bring out the reds in the skin tones and actually be more unflattering than helpful! It would obviously bring out the saturation in the clothes they were wearing too.

Polarising filers require polarised light in order to make and difference so unless you are shooting outside or have a polarised light source (which are generally scientific instruments) then there is little use to them.

I suppose you might use one if shooting outside in foliage or near a pond.

As has been mentioned reflections and landscape shots only for me as well. But buy one anyway of course..... keep the economy moving

Back