Polarising Filter Query

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got one for a christmas prezzie and on the outside of the filter is a little round bar about 8mm long and 1.5-2mm wide which screws into the outer frame of the filter. I assume this is to alter the rotation of the filter. Am I right? Which way is 'up'? Why would I adjust it?:shrug:

I'm lost! :LOL:

Doesn't matter where it starts. Screw the filter on with the threaded bit and use the little handle to spin the filter bit until you have the effect you want :)

Isn't it something like the white dot?? Ie you line up to take the shot and turn the dot/bar in the direction that the sun is coming from and that is the optimum Polarisation?? It's not always possible to see the desired effect until after the shot, especially in very bright harsh light (Well thats what I found in the Nevada deserts)

Normally toward 45-90 deg is the best sort of angle against the sun. Straight at or with the sun behind and the filter has no real benefits?

I'm sure that's what I understand and have learnt (recently btw)

I'd go with the SJ's option. None of my polarisers have any indication as to a reference point.

Just adjust until you get the desired effect. Also in some lighting directions don't be surprised to see little or no effect on the sky, however always look at other parts of the scene as these may show improvement.

Watch out when using with water. Polarising may reduce some of the ripple effect, that you may want to include. Also reflections can be reduced with a polariser, this is sometimes a good/ bad thing depending on the subject.

Pop it on the lens and twiddle it until it until the pic looks nice - go past that point, drop it back to where it looked best. Bingo. Works for me.;)

Can anyone show me with/without images so I can make a comparison and see what you are talking about?

This sort of thing?

Without circular polariser:
pol1.jpg

With polariser cranked to the max:
pol2.jpg

Good for blue skies, making clouds "pop", saturation and for acting as a ND filter.

not strictly true ( acting as an nd filter ) the neutral bit should give it away

This sort of thing?

That sort of thing (y)

Am I right in guessing that is set at about 45 degress to the left?

Cheers.

Just keep spinning it around whilst looking through the viewfinder, you'll see the effect come and go.
If it's not too sunny right now, try and focus the camera on a window whilst turning the filter and you should see a difference in the reflection in the window!

It all depends on the position of the sun in relation to your subject, if I remember right you need to be about 90 degrees to the sun to get the best effect.The thing is you will see the effect if you try it, just point the camera and spin the filter to desired point which you determine by looking through the camera, it will also cut down reflections on water and glare from car windsceeens etc.

Here are a few samples, note the definition in the clouds and also the shadow which confirms the 90 degree to sun comment above..

183459157-L.jpg

204253368-L.jpg

This one will show the difference with NOT being at the right angle, note that the sky is darker towards the right, but as you can see my dad's shadow is not at 90 degrees to me so I am shooting from slightly the wrong position to get the nice blue sky right across, I should have moved more to my left.

204256009-L.jpg

Best thing to do is just get out there and try it. Just remember it will cut down on some light so remember and take it off when not needed, very easy to spoil a shot by leaving it on if there isn't any sun about, unless of course that was the effect you were after.

Mike.

When i used it i had this wierd rainbow pattern on the pictures and it didn't go away when i turned it?

what is that. It was the sort of colour when you push a lcd screen ( although i have never done it :D)

When i used it i had this wierd rainbow pattern on the pictures and it didn't go away when i turned it?

what is that. It was the sort of colour when you push a lcd screen ( although i have never done it :D)

What type and make of polariser where you using. Dare I say it could be just be of poor quality and you got what you paid for. Also I'm not sure if this happens with digital if you use a linear polariser rather than a circular one.

Back