Beginner Polarising filters (again)

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
My question is are polarising filters worth the money or needed at all for landscape shots including waterfalls etc
It seems that Hoya pro1 are a favourite.
Is it worth spending money on them or will a cheaper version like an SRB filter do the same job ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, i didnt realise there are different versions on the same item.

Different types/models from the same manufacturer, as I said, scroll down to find the Pro1 type listed. I assume the cheaper ones aren't the same quality as the Pro1, I imagine the RRP listed might give you a clue, failing that a search on the internet should answer the question? Best of luck choosing and finding one to suit, how are the prices on that link compared with what you've seen already for the MM diameter you need?

Last edited:
Price wise for the pro1 in the link is about the same as i have seen elsewhere, so that must be the average price range.
Is it worth paying more for a different version ?? and could anyone tell the difference is the big question :-(

Regarding if they are needed, for me, absolutely. If you want to cut any kind of reflection its the only way. Software can't do it.

I've just got the SRB elite filter system that can with a polarizer and I'm very happy with it (and the filter sysyem)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it looks like i will be getting one, its got to be worth having one in my bag.

I have individual polariser on each of my 5 lenses - I find this works better than having a single large polariser that you have to move from lens to lens every time you change lenses...

You can even add a Lee filter adapter to them and generally speaking it makes life a lot easier.

Thanks guys, it looks like i will be getting one, its got to be worth having one in my bag.

I had one in my bag for years :)

Then when I found it, I sold it as it'd never been out of my bag and hence I never used it

If you do a lot of water/reflection shots you may well find it useful as MrDrizz says, but not for skies if you like to shoot wide as the effect will not cover the whole of the sky and it can look a bit stupid

Dave

Besides removing glare from water, a Polariser can also remove glare from foliage, metalic objects and glass.
I also use it to enrich colours in foliage.

Never used it to darken the sky though.

Thanks, i have ordered one from SRB today.
I will let you know how i get one, once i get the chance to get out into the wilds, when the wind and rain stops :)

Back