Polarizing Filters: Advice needed

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I am quite new to photography and I was looking at the above kind of filter and was hoping that someone could answer me a simple question.

I have a Canon 40D, TTL metering I think, so if the filter is on the front of the lens, will the camera adjust the exposure as necessary or do I have to manually adjust? Or am I totally off track?! :bonk:

Thanks in advance!

I am quite new to photography and I was looking at the above kind of filter and was hoping that someone could answer me a simple question.

I have a Canon 40D, TTL metering I think, so if the filter is on the front of the lens, will the camera adjust the exposure as necessary or do I have to manually adjust? Or am I totally off track?! :bonk:

Thanks in advance!

The camera will adjust the exposure for you as it is taking the light reading through the filter.

You can set exposure to whatever you wish, but you dont need to.
Make sure its not linear you need the circular as this works with Dslr and the Linear rather doesnt.

I have 58mm Linear polarizer and have never noticed a problem with it. In fact it gives stronger effect than my 77mm CPL.

The Linear tends to muck up the metering through the lens unless you dont have beam splitters, i think thats it. Too techy for me.

Camera will sort the exposure for you with a polariser no problem. Just rotate it for the best effect and away you go.

Linear polarisers are supposed to give a fractioanally stronger polarising effect than circular (it's not the physical shape!) but they can muck things up at certain angles because of the beam splitter in the camera's mirror. And it's very hard to get a non-circular polariser these days for that reason.

Do get a multi-coated one if you can afford it. They cut down flare a lot. And if you wnat the best, it is probably the Hoya HD (I saw one on Amazon recently that was actualy cheaper than the top Hoya Pro1 version). It only reduces light transmission by just over one stop, as opposed to almost two stops from other polarisers.

I think you will find as you turn a polarising filter the exposure will change normally from about One stop to Three stops.Try it using a spot meter, either in camera or a separate one.
C

I have 58mm Linear polarizer and have never noticed a problem with it. In fact it gives stronger effect than my 77mm CPL.

as well as the metering issues already mentioned - this also can cause AF issues as well on modern systems. Stick to a CPL for digital

Hugh

Thanks for all the replies.

I must admit the choice is vast! So many brands and types to choose! I know to stick with Circular for my 40D SLR. I have 2 L lenses I want to use them with mainly, so I was thinking a slim mount B+W Kasemann 77mm MRC One. ANyone think this is suitable or would anyone recommend anything different?

I must admit the choice is vast! So many brands and types to choose! I know to stick with Circular for my 40D SLR. I have 2 L lenses I want to use them with mainly, so I was thinking a slim mount B+W Kasemann 77mm MRC One. ANyone think this is suitable or would anyone recommend anything different?

I have the b&w kasmann, the only thing I did was to get the 105mm one and I use it with the lee filter holder so that it covers all my lenses plus any I may get in future.

I would get this one, the new Hoya HD that I recommended above. Very good price, multicoated, and only 1.1 stops light reduction :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...eld-keywords=hoya+HD+77mm+polarizer&x=19&y=23

You can get the normal 'budget' Hoya CPL's for like £20. I use them with my L glass and I really find them fine. I've done a few comparisons and spot no difference in terms of image quality.

Back