Polaroid 110A 4x5 Conversion

That my friend is a thing of beauty. Top work. (y)(y)(y)

Thanks Andy :0)

Top work! What's the next project to entertain us?

Lol, I've still got a roll film back to make and then hopefully actually shoot some slide film with camera before I start on the next project :0)

Then again...I have got a Polaroid 355 here that's looking like a contender for another 4x5 conversion..

^^^W @Andysnap S^^^ Fantastic job Steve, looking forward to seeing more results.

Thanks Nick :0). I just wish the weather would improve now so I could get out with it!
You're on the Wirral aren't you? You may have to move Steve.

Thanks buddy :0). I'm really happy with the finished camera but am getting pretty frustrated at not being able to actually get time to shoot it :0(

Getting this email back from Chris Gampat (Phoblographer) made my evening though;

"Alright, scheduled for the 3rd. Of all the camera conversion type stuff that I've been pitched, yours is quite probably the best story."

Fantastic work Steve, it's been a great story to follow, really looking forward to seeing the Phoblographer piece, congratulations.

Its has been a very interesting thread to follow, I have enjoyed it immensely and its great to watch such handiwork in action. Thank you for sharing.

Perhaps the thread could be put somewhere easy to find so it can be used for future reference.

Its has been a very interesting thread to follow, I have enjoyed it immensely and its great to watch such handiwork in action. Thank you for sharing.

Perhaps the thread could be put somewhere easy to find so it can be used for future reference.
Just as a little reminder for Steve himself that some projects do get finished :whistle: :exit:

Thanks, I'm glad it's been interesting for you too.

@RaglanSurf All of my projects get completed, just not at the same time ;0)

Tee Hee....

Good article and nice that you name checked good old f&c.

I might leave a comment, probably something inflammatory and micky-taking. :D

It won't let me leave a comment for some reason. Seems you have to log on through some new-fangled social meejah site, oh well, you already know how much I like this and how much I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article. Top work matey.

Well, there's the best £1.85 I've spent on this conversion :0)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1450708091.594095.jpg

A5 size flexible fresnel screen used for magnifying text/images also does a frankly amazing job of brightening up a ground glass :0)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1450708273.466580.jpg

I've cut the centre out of the panel and fitted it (smooth side to glass) inside the rear of the ground glass holder. The difference it makes to the screen brightness is like night and day and critical focus doesn't appear to have been affected because it doesn't move the ground glass plane.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1450708341.789511.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1450708348.839408.jpg

These two shots are without the pop up shade and I can also focus inside the house with just ceiling lights. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking to brighten up their screen (don't forget to adjust the screen location if it has to go under the frame)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Interesting, that looks like a bit of a bargain. Have you a link?

Andy

I couldn't get on with the fresnel on my Arca, I'm not really sure why tbh but I preferred the view with out it.

I wasn't sure what effect it would have, if any, but for less than £2 I thought it was worth the risk. As far as I can tell from the quick testing I've done it doesn't appear to have any negative impact on the focussing so fingers crossed!

Ordered, as you say for the price it's not worth not having......:thinking:

I wasn't sure what effect it would have, if any, but for less than £2 I thought it was worth the risk. As far as I can tell from the quick testing I've done it doesn't appear to have any negative impact on the focussing so fingers crossed!

I really can't remember what I didn't like about it, maybe its just really scratched up. Ah bugger it I'll buy a new one.... :)

I've just shot a couple of very low light sheets of Astia (100, F8, 5 seconds) of our Christmas tree as an excuse to shoot something! Pretty happy with the ground glass brightness.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1450740303.087508.jpg

I used one of my Olympus OM lenses reversed as a loupe and could still read the writing on the side of the candle although the digital shot of the glass doesn't bring that out :0)

I was just looking at the film and camera equipment suppliers thread, and came across a couple of these conversions on offer... at nearly a grand each! Just amazing... I reckon yours would be worth even more! ;)

A couple of iPhone 'scans' against the screen of my MacBook from the first two sheets of Astia I've shot. Thanks to @Woodsy for the film :0)

F8 - 5 Seconds

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452017233.840953.jpg

F11 - 20 Seconds

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452017258.318679.jpg

The colours are better than the iPhone shot shows and the room was only lit by the Christmas tree lights and a fire. The blue tint on the blinds was from the blue led Christmas lights on the window. To be fair, the film's handled the colour balance better than my digital kit does!

Ok, quick question for all the super-wide format shooters. I've already got a 6x9 rollfilm back that I've drawn up the plans for an acrylic plate to mount it to the Polaroid 110 so I can shoot with 120 rollfilm. My original reason for this was to allow some flexibility across film formats when I want to shoot 120 instead. I haven't actually had the parts lasercut yet but it's ready to go.

Now, I've potentially got the option to pick up a 6x12 camera body which I could strip down to mount the interior into another holder so I could shoot panoramic format on the Polaroid as well. My main question is if this is worthwhile or if I'd be better off just framing a 4x5 shot accordingly and crop the resulting image? Apart from being a waste of 4x5 sheet I'm thinking that without a wider lens on the camera there's no real benefit of the 6x12 frame?

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Any thoughts guys?

I made a 6x12 camera specifically for a 65mm lens which is quite a wide field of view. If I had a 6x12 camera or back to strip down, I would put a 65mm lens on it at hyperfocal position for f16 and not have any focusing mechanism.

Just out of interest, which 6x12 do you have?

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I haven't got any 6x12 yet but might be able to get hold of a Holga 120wpc which would give me the winding mechanism, frame and body which I could strip down and mount to a 4x5 plate to use. It's all theory at the moment without having the donor in front of me but I'm not really sure if I'd gain a huge amount over the 6x9 back I've already got.

Hang on, if the lens covers 4*5 inches, it must surely cover 6*12 cm? I'd definitely suggest giving the 6*12 a go; it's a real pano format, while 6*9 is just a bigger 135! Maybe I've misunderstood?

Sorry Chris, I didn't explain. A 6x12 frame will cover the full width of the 4x5 but my main question was about whether it would be worth it? Financially it's cheaper to shoot multiple 6x12 frames on a single roll of 120 but if I can just crop a 4x5 sheet to get the same result I'm not 100% sure if it's worth the cost/effort :0)

:facepalm: (Just discovered that one!) Ah, thanks, gotcha now. That's surely an easy calculation?

IF((cost(5x4)+cost(scissor time)) < (0.25*cost(120film) - stevlmx5DIYenjoymentfactor) THEN use(5x4)

:geek:

Or perhaps:

stevlmx5DIYenjoymentfactor >> cost(5x4) - 0.25*cost(120film)

;)

Back