Poll on Drone use

Do you use a Drone in your photography or video hobby?

• Yes, for stills

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Yes, for video

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes, for stills and video

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm curious about how many TP'ers use a drone for photography and/or video? Please respond, I'm just trying to gauge potential interest in a drone-related project or challenge.

I am a full time professional photographer shooting weddings and events. I do have a DJI mini and occasionally use it for work. The video is superb from the little drone (i'm no expert) the photo's are poor, nowhere near as good as my iPhone 11. I have on the odd occasion given a bride and groom a photo from the drone but always explained the quality difference. If I was to take drone more seriously I would get the DJI air 2s with the 1" sensor.

That's interesting Nick; maybe I expected that, I'm not sure, but drone video does almost always impress.

While I don't offer services, I played with mini2 as a test and can tell you it has a place for large rural properties (both video and stills), landscapes where you can do it (video and stills, but can be problematic flying it in most places!) and once you have that level of skill some action advertorial shots which would be mostly video.
I'm thinking about mavic 3 as mini 2 just didn't have the quality I'm used to

In what way? I'm thinking of dipping my toes in the drone market and was considering the Mini 2 or 3.
most places are some sort of no fly zone, restricted zone or paranoid resident zone. It is a crazy minefield. Then there are places where you seem to be able to fly and there are very low level airoplane flights taking place!

For the under 250g models there are almost no restrictions apart such as around airports or event locations e.g. Glastonbury.
The app needed to fly will not let you take off there.
You are only expected to use your judgement and not go over 'congested' areas with large numbers of people so even town centre use is OK at quiet times of day.
The Mini3 for example is light years away from heavy old phantom type drones, it is very quiet and exceptionally easy to control safely, collision avoidance is built in.

In what way? I'm thinking of dipping my toes in the drone market and was considering the Mini 2 or 3.

The Mini 2 is a great drone. The only real downside is the 12mp camera compared to the 48mp I think on the 3 and the 3 can also shoot vertical. The 3 also has more obstacle sensors and some extra tracking features for video.

Restrictions for the Mini series is really minimal compared to the larger, plus 250g drones such as the Air etc You can fly them virtually anywhere aside from the obvious locations.

For the under 250g models there are almost no restrictions apart such as around airports or event locations e.g. Glastonbury.
The app needed to fly will not let you take off there.
You are only expected to use your judgement and not go over 'congested' areas with large numbers of people so even town centre use is OK at quiet times of day.
The Mini3 for example is light years away from heavy old phantom type drones, it is very quiet and exceptionally easy to control safely, collision avoidance is built in.
You do know the definition of "crowd". And if the app lets you fly it doesn't mean there are not any byelaws and zones in place. Its a horror show with 249g device already if you want to publish anything under your name (just like you wouldn't post video of doing dangerous driving for example), and anything heavier just requires essentially pro licenses and applications to relevant authorities. Add insurance and you need daily well paying projects to justify one

You do know the definition of "crowd". And if the app lets you fly it doesn't mean there are not any byelaws and zones in place. Its a horror show with 249g device already if you want to publish anything under your name (just like you wouldn't post video of doing dangerous driving for example), and anything heavier just requires essentially pro licenses and applications to relevant authorities. Add insurance and you need daily well paying projects to justify one

No. What is a "crowd"?

A crowd is any group of people who cannot move away quickly because of the number of other people around them.

Never fly over people who are crowded together, no matter what size of drone or model aircraft you have.

Examples of places where people are often crowded together include:

• shopping areas
  • sports events
  • religious gatherings
  • political gatherings
  • music festivals and concerts
  • marches and rallies
  • at a crowded beach or park
  • parties, carnivals and fêtes

I have been using drones professionally for photography and video since 2017. I have CAA authorisation to fly drones up to 25kg in urban areas day and night, but my most used drone is now the Mini 3. The flexibility of a sub 250g drone can't be beaten and the video quality is outstanding, the stills quality is also good but not on the same level as the video. I have had the Mini and Mini 2 and the video and stills quality wasn't too great but was better than nothing. The Mini 3 is good enough that I am currently thinking of selling my other drones and just using a couple of Mini 3's.

I have been using drones professionally for photography and video since 2017. I have CAA authorisation to fly drones up to 25kg in urban areas day and night, but my most used drone is now the Mini 3. The flexibility of a sub 250g drone can't be beaten and the video quality is outstanding, the stills quality is also good but not on the same level as the video. I have had the Mini and Mini 2 and the video and stills quality wasn't too great but was better than nothing. The Mini 3 is good enough that I am currently thinking of selling my other drones and just using a couple of Mini 3's.
Agree entirely, mini 3 is outstanding in every way - and well under £1000 even with the extra battery kit.
My first one was the original phantom in 2013 to which I attached various horrible small cameras with no gimbal or way to see what you were recording.
You only knew battery was getting low when a little LED on the back of it started to flash or change colour -after about 10 minutes.
Things have moved on somewhat

for video.

but i dont like flying a tiny £500 plastic thing unless there is near no wind and no chance of rain

I don't own a drone, although I have considered it recently. I have a few other things to purchase before it happens though. At this stage, I'm about 1 year or so away from getting one, if it happens.

Last edited:
I sold my last one (a Phantom 4) two years ago and am just waiting for the prices of the Mini 3 to drop or become available second-hand. I'll not buy new again as you just lose too much money in a very short space of time.

I sold my last one (a Phantom 4) two years ago and am just waiting for the prices of the Mini 3 to drop or become available second-hand. I'll not buy new again as you just lose too much money in a very short space of time.

they seem to hold value as far as i can tell, try buying a used mini 2 flymore set and you will be lucky to get £150 off new retail price

Indeed. That's why I'm waiting - they'll drop eventually when a better/faster/more one comes out. :)

The Mini 2 seems to be just starting to drop a bit now. I bought mine about two months ago, £440 flymore and a bit of a warranty. Two mates just sold theirs this week for the Mini 3 for around the £350-370 mark.

Reactions: Sky
I've been playing with uav's for a few years now, mainly DJI but one or two others as well. Currently have an Air 2s and the mini 3, both have their up and downsides, I generally use them to get a different perspective or to go where I dare not :) you just have to be aware of their limitations (their own and those imposed by the law) I'm lucky in as much that I live in the middle of nowhere so no real restrictions for me.

I used to, but with the legislation changes, licensing changes, coupled with the general public hating them and the people that operate them I’ve sold mine. I have an fpv one which I can mount a GoPro to for video but I’ve not done so as I just use it for flying around and making myself feel ill. Once they sort the different groupings for drones out next year I may buy another one for photography but it’s unlikely.

Wow, I have just voted and seen the results, only 28 people on here using a uav for imaging, I'm surprised it's so low.

I used a mini then got an Air2S, due the major improvements. Sat my operator/flyer test and then got my A2 CofC, so I could use it in more places/closer to people.
If buying now I'd get a Mini 3 Pro although the Air2S is a beast in windy conditions.

Worse thing with the wind is hand launching or rather catching! I've had mine up with wind warnings on the controller and it's been fine.
That's insanely brave. Emphasis on insanely

I've had my drone for three years. A 'Parrot anafi' I bought it because it took better photo's than the DJI drones at a similar price. I would not be without it.

and anything heavier just requires essentially pro licenses and applications to relevant authorities. Add insurance and you need daily well paying projects to justify one
Not true.

Anything heavier and your drone moves into a different category (C1, C2 etc.) and there are different rules associated with each category. You can still fly it but you'll need to add a flyer ID on top of your operator ID if you don't already hold one. Legally you don't need a flyer ID for a <250g drone, just an operator ID.

You can take the A2 C of C test which gives you more flexibility. You certainly don't need to apply to local authorities. You only need permission from the relevant authorities when you're in a restricted or no fly zone.

As an example I know a photographer who got some aerial shots of the Red Arrows at Blackpool Airport last week, he simply put a request in to Air Traffic Control and his request was granted.

You're also not legally required to take out insurance if you're flying for personal reasons, although recommended it's not a legal requirement.

Last edited:
I think that’s now changed. If the <250g drone has a camera you need both a flyer ID and Operator ID as far I’m aware. If the drone doesn’t have a camera it’s as you say.
It hasn't.
If you check the Civial Aviation Authority website there is a page called 'Registration requirements for drones' and it has this table.
You can see that below 250g which isn't a toy and has a camera still only legally requires an Operator ID, whereas anything above that, such as the Air 2S which I have, requires both.
Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 08.52.44.png

Even when moving to the new C class rating the equivalent drone still wouldn't legally require a flyer ID.
Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 08.55.08.png

Last edited:
I've recently bought a drone - and although there are lots of rules and regulations - I've had some encouraging initial results It's far from perfect for still imagery compared to my regular camera, but it gets me shots that I otherwise would never have achieved. I'm still on a learning curve - and wished the batteries lasted longer, but I do see a place for it amongst my photography gear for the future there is no doubt.

The fun thing is sorting out what's actually a rule, and what's a "polite request masquerading as a rule".

Only the CAA have authority over airspace, so whilst the National Trust (for example) have a "no drones" policy, this is unenforceable. You might not be able to take-off/land, but if you're standing in a public place, e.g. footpath, you can pretty much fly where you want.
Obviously normal drone-laws, and common decency, are still there - so no crowds, not closer than 50m to an "uninvolved" person(s), but generally you can fly most places.

I use one, albeit sparingly. I'm against lazy drone photography/videography, but there is some breathtaking artistry from some people doing it.

I've recently bought a drone - and although there are lots of rules and regulations - I've had some encouraging initial results It's far from perfect for still imagery compared to my regular camera, but it gets me shots that I otherwise would never have achieved. I'm still on a learning curve - and wished the batteries lasted longer, but I do see a place for it amongst my photography gear for the future there is no doubt.

I bought mine initially for photos alongside my regular camera (to make a nice set of images) and for short video clips.

I am tempted with the Mini 3 though for its extra megapixel count and vertical shooting.

I hope to be soon, looking to purchase a Mavic 3 shortly for both stills and video. Research makes me think that the micro four thirds camera with adjustable aperture should be better than the Air 2s, which also gets brilliant reviews. I am hoping to find a reasonably priced used one, but there are so many scammers out there :(

I hope to be soon, looking to purchase a Mavic 3 shortly for both stills and video. Research makes me think that the micro four thirds camera with adjustable aperture should be better than the Air 2s, which also gets brilliant reviews. I am hoping to find a reasonably priced used one, but there are so many scammers out there :(
If you're buying a used Mavic 3 - ensure the previous owner has deactivated their ownership with DJI. If not, or if they are uncontactable, you are simply buying a brick that won't fly.

Back