Polo practice

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
A new experience for me. Thought I'd have more of a chance of getting a few shots of a practice game than on the main field.

I'd like to photogragh more horses. They make very dramatic pictures.

polotrio-2.jpg

polo3.jpg

#1 looks like a slightly quicker shutter speed was needed and the front hooves of the right most horse would have been better in frame.

#2 is much better, you can see the whole action and whilst the head on version might be preferred by some, I like that angle from behind. Its a little bit soft, needs to be sharper, but still a great effort.

These are all the sort of things that come with practice (y)

Thanks for your comments LadyLens.

I was shooting in AV. I guess TV would have been preferable. As for the front hooves being out of frame, well they were but the horizon/grassline was way outta level it looked like they were running downhill, so a crop was needed.

_MG_7431_0425.jpg

See what I mean.:confused:

I use Aperture Priority when shooting polo, I just adjust the ISO as necessary. I know what you mean as far as the horizons are concern. They move so fast it's always tricky to keep them straight.

They're both good captures. Maybe the second one would have been better if you were the other side of him so that you could see the rider's face, but there's not lot youi can do about that. Where abouts were these taken?

I took these while on a walk around Windsor Great Park. Had no idea i would stumble accross a polo match. They were playing a semi final in the Guards Polo Club but they where having a break (half time or whatever you call it) and didn't have time to hang around.

Wouldn't mind going to the Cartier International there in June. Some friends of mine are involved with the hospitality, maybe I'll have a word. You never know. :naughty:

Wouldn't mind going to the Cartier International there in June. Some friends of mine are involved with the hospitality, maybe I'll have a word. You never know. :naughty:

The Cartier is in July. Queen's Cup (In June) is better anyway. Try and get to the semi finals. The Finals are too corporate, very little to do with the polo.

Oops sorry, meant July.

Just a couple more

polo7438crop.jpg

polo7145.jpg

Some excellent action shots and good thinking to try the practice field. Polo is on my list of things to do and images like these just make me want to get out there.

:clap:

Thanks Hacker. (y)

Just stumbled accross them to be honest so took a few. Deffinately going back to try some more soon. They have games on pretty much every week. www.guardspoloclub.com.

Back