Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
DSC07014.jpg

DSC06727.jpg

Hi and welcome to TPF:wave::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Do you do polo regularly?

We have a polo club nearby and I have been thinking of getting out there and try my hand.

What lenses do you find best for this?

Cheers m8

The 2nd photo captures the action really well.
I was struggling to keep up with where the ball was on my first and only visit! But I came away with some shots I was happy with :)

Damn fine effort for a first time Sir!
:eek:

:D

Hi and welcome to TPF:wave::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Do you do polo regularly?

We have a polo club nearby and I have been thinking of getting out there and try my hand.

What lenses do you find best for this?

Cheers m8

I have a friend who owns a small Polo club nearby and I spend every Saturday there helping out. I try to get to tournaments as often as I can.

I mainly use a 75-300mm Zoom, but the 1st pic was taken with a Tamron 18-250mm.

If you have the chance, I recommend to take it, it's great fun and there are always plenty of photo opportunities, on and off the pitch!

I was struggling to keep up with where the ball was on my first and only visit! :)

Indeed, on a field the size of 6 football pitches, it is very difficult to find, let alone follow, a ball the size of a cricket ball. The best way generally is to keep up with the lead rider, that way you're more likely to capture the ball with him/her.

So a 70-200 on a 20D will be a bit light, will it?

I have a 2x TC but I don't really enjoy the effect of it:bonk:

Ideas?:shrug:

Yes, I was using 300mm and that was too short unless the players were down at the goal end.

Oh well, another reason to get fit then!:LOL:

Up and down the side of the pitch following the action:bonk::bonk::bonk:

:D:D

Oh well, another reason to get fit then!:LOL:

Up and down the side of the pitch following the action:bonk::bonk::bonk:

You'll get very fit if you run up and down that sized pitch!:LOL:

As I said, I used an 18-250mm Tamron for that 1st shot (And all the others from that match). The second one, I used a 75-300mm, but it was only at about 120mm when I took that shot.

The only issue about focal length is that you will have to wait for the action to come to you if you user shorter. If you can position yourself behind the goal, you'll probably get the best action anyway (They change ends after each goal so even in a one sided match, you should get plenty of shots).

(They change ends after each goal so even in a one sided match, you should get plenty of shots).

Thanks for that!(y)

That's why I love this forum!!

(y)

No problem. Look forward to seeing your pics!:)

Cheers m8(y):LOL:

Won't be helluva soon, closest polo club is about 40 kms inland from here where 40+ is nothing strange for this time of year:eek:

If you have been following some of my posts you will know that that is about 25-35 degrees hotter than I am happy with;):D

Back