Pompeii and herculaneum

Definitely a 'bucket list' location for me.

Definitely worth a visit. I'd love to go back in a few years to see what else they find. Got talking to someone who was there 14 years ago and they seen a big difference

Last edited:
A nice set of pics. It looks like a great place to explore.

Great set of pics, +1 for my bucket list as well.

Nice pics, I went in 2007, but our day at Pompeii was a bit grey and miserable, til the last 30mins! I talked to a dog, who then appeared to become a tour guide for the rest of the site, trotting along in front of us.

Sadly we didn't get to the very top of Vesuvis as there was one day of heavy rain and it washed away the path (think they've put a proper one in now to prevent this). Didn't get to Herculaneum though.

my favourite photo from the trip is a night shot from Capri.

Had I known what it was like to drive in Italy, I wouldn't have done it! (at least I can say I have now, ha). We stayed in Sorrento. Amazing ice cream

Vesuvius is sadly regularly in the clouds and rain.

Not a lot you can do about that given its altitude and hot air meeting cold air. Last time there stood around trying to get shelter from the rain in the souvenir shop at the top of the road and freezing due to the altitude, so it remains on the bucket list! Pompeii abandoned for the opposite reason....too much sun, and again no shelter.

Better staying on the beach ;)

Not a lot you can do about that given its altitude and hot air meeting cold air. Last time there stood around trying to get shelter from the rain in the souvenir shop at the top of the road and freezing due to the altitude, so it remains on the bucket list! Pompeii abandoned for the opposite reason....too much sun, and again no shelter.

Every other day we were there, the weather was fantastic, we just happen to choose the wrong day to visit, the day after it had rained all day. Any other day, it would have been great - actually the weather was good the day we went, it just wasn't safe to walk up to the summit - the weather at the car park and all the way on the drive up was fine.

Sod the beach, can do that anytime, I live by the sea.

Would like to get up there eventually, but not too fussed to rush back. getting my volcano fix elsewhere, albeit a dormant one next week. really wished I'd been able to see the active one in Iceland - it stopped erupting 2 days before I went in march!

Nice pics, I went in 2007, but our day at Pompeii was a bit grey and miserable, til the last 30mins! I talked to a dog, who then appeared to become a tour guide for the rest of the site, trotting along in front of us.

Sadly we didn't get to the very top of Vesuvis as there was one day of heavy rain and it washed away the path (think they've put a proper one in now to prevent this). Didn't get to Herculaneum though.

my favourite photo from the trip is a night shot from Capri.

Had I known what it was like to drive in Italy, I wouldn't have done it! (at least I can say I have now, ha). We stayed in Sorrento. Amazing ice cream

We had a scorcher doing Pompeii and Herculaneum, pouring rain on way to and up Vesuvius which kindly stopped as we got off the big 4x4 bus, scorching sunshine on Capris from our base in Sorento. Turned out to be a fanastic holiday
The food and people we met were brilliant too, couldn't fault the place
We also hired a scooter to do the Amalfi Coast, another scorcher and loads more photos

Definitely not a holiday to sit around the beach. The entire area is full of things to see and do, think I came home with around 700 photos :)

Every other day we were there, the weather was fantastic, we just happen to choose the wrong day to visit, the day after it had rained all day. Any other day, it would have been great - actually the weather was good the day we went, it just wasn't safe to walk up to the summit - the weather at the car park and all the way on the drive up was fine.

Sod the beach, can do that anytime, I live by the sea.

Would like to get up there eventually, but not too fussed to rush back. getting my volcano fix elsewhere, albeit a dormant one next week. really wished I'd been able to see the active one in Iceland - it stopped erupting 2 days before I went in march!

2 days? That's just horrendous luck. Where's the latest volcano fix?

Definitely not a holiday to sit around the beach. The entire area is full of things to see and do, think I came home with around 700 photos :)
Only 700 ? What happened did your camera pack in after a day ? ;)

2 days? That's just horrendous luck. Where's the latest volcano fix?

Assuming the weather behaves, going to do the Inside the Volcano thing in Iceland.

The active one in March - i was *kind of* glad it stopped erupting as to fly over it was stupidly expensive and there was no way i could afford it, so by it stopping erupting, i didnt have to regret anything :p i think you can walk in the crater now.

sorry, hijacking thread!

i quite liked Sorrento, our hotel was at the top of a hill, so had a great view across the bay at breakfast, you could walk down to the town, coming up was a bit tougher, but we usually did that, rather than rely on the infrequent shuttle they provided (walk off some of the ice cream!) We went in November so the weather was pleasant temperate wise on the nice days - t shirt weather for me - but italians wrapped up like winter! I have no idea why we went there, in that, i cant remember why we decided to go to Italy. i think we just looked at price, temperature and things to photograph! it was quiet at the hotel. We took the bus along the amalfi coast, stopping at various places until Ravello, but that was the s*** weather day and it got a bit cold and miserable and my feet got wet *whine*

this was my Capri shot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danyell_photos/4436815632/in/album-72157616221946997/

a bit of a fluke really, early days of DSLR with my 350d. was paranoid about dropping it in water...

Last edited:
Assuming the weather behaves, going to do the Inside the Volcano thing in Iceland.

The active one in March - i was *kind of* glad it stopped erupting as to fly over it was stupidly expensive and there was no way i could afford it, so by it stopping erupting, i didnt have to regret anything :p i think you can walk in the crater now.

sorry, hijacking thread!

i quite liked Sorrento, our hotel was at the top of a hill, so had a great view across the bay at breakfast, you could walk down to the town, coming up was a bit tougher, but we usually did that, rather than rely on the infrequent shuttle they provided (walk off some of the ice cream!) We went in November so the weather was pleasant temperate wise on the nice days - t shirt weather for me - but italians wrapped up like winter! I have no idea why we went there, in that, i cant remember why we decided to go to Italy. i think we just looked at price, temperature and things to photograph! it was quiet at the hotel. We took the bus along the amalfi coast, stopping at various places until Ravello, but that was the s*** weather day and it got a bit cold and miserable and my feet got wet *whine*

this was my Capri shot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danyell_photos/4436815632/in/album-72157616221946997/

a bit of a fluke really, early days of DSLR with my 350d. was paranoid about dropping it in water...

It's a nice shot, I never got to see it at night
I've just been editing some more shots of the wee harbour in the old town inSorento, that was beautiful. Did you get there?
Think I,ll upload and share some of them as it was such a lovely spot and the people were really friendly. It was like going back 100 years in as many yards

Only 700 ? What happened did your camera pack in after a day ? ;)

Just had a look at lightroom, and counted the totals of different locations. After deleting the duffers, ive still got 850 so i underestimated that a bit :D

It's a nice shot, I never got to see it at night
I've just been editing some more shots of the wee harbour in the old town inSorento, that was beautiful. Did you get there?
Think I,ll upload and share some of them as it was such a lovely spot and the people were really friendly. It was like going back 100 years in as many yards

Yes I have a few from there - think we walked thru some gardens and took some of the harbour from up high.

In the day time there was a man fishing and a cat sitting with him waiting for his tea. it was very quaint. I was slightly amused because I went with my (male) friend, so we were double ditching on meals etc (and I planned the entire holiday) but all the waiters and stuff all gave the bills and addressed questions to my friend, not the girl :) - we also ate some where that was clearly aimed at tourists (or just me?) as I had sausage and chips on a pizza! haah.

It looks an amazing place and you've captured it well. I quite like the image where the old town is juxtaposition with the new.

It looks an amazing place and you've captured it well. I quite like the image where the old town is juxtaposition with the new.

The amazing thing is, the old world continues under the houses above. the town hall is partly exposed but only to the frontage. there must be some fantastic stuff yet to be excavated

Thanks to this thread I have gone delving for my Sorrento pictures from last year. I only used the Nikon occasionally (one of which got published), and relied on the iPhone most of the time due to it being a holiday rather than an assignment. Unfortunately, until Dec 2014 my iPhone pictures did not go through the same rigorous download procedure as those from the Nikon. So I have only just relived the memories. :)

Sorrento Old Harbour was indeed beautiful, historic and the food amazing, but it did take some finding. Would go back tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread I have gone delving for my Sorrento pictures from last year. I only used the Nikon occasionally (one of which got published), and relied on the iPhone most of the time due to it being a holiday rather than an assignment. Unfortunately, until Dec 2014 my iPhone pictures did not go through the same rigorous download procedure as those from the Nikon. So I have only just relived the memories. :)

Sorrento Old Harbour was indeed beautiful, historic and the food amazing, but it did take some finding. Would go back tomorrow.

Haha, good to see you inspired to dig them out. I just gave her indoors a slideshow, she said she can't wait to get back as well. Lovely place, brilliant food and really friendly chilled out people made it a special holiday

The Amalfi coast is spectacular, and Pompeii and Herculaneum are fascinating. I'm really more interested in the history and archaeology, but the photo opportunities are also also well worth a visit.

A few things to consider, if you haven't been there:

Pompeii is much larger, but Herculaneum is better preserved and the some of the buildings timber and contents has survived because the site was deeply buried in mud. Herculaneum is more compact, doesn't get so busy, and is easier to fit into a couple of hours if you're short of time. It's possible to visit both in one day if you're staying locally.

The views from Vesuvius are fantastic, but it's often shrouded in mist and cloud and this is unpredictable. Still worth climbing if you want to see the crater and fumaroles.

You can reach the sites and return in one day from Rome, by taking an early train to Naples and catching a late afternoon or evening train back. Travel time to Naples is 1 - 2 hours, the fast trains are more expensive but you can save quite a bit by booking ahead. The local Circumvesuviana trains to Pompeii Scavi and Ercolano Scavi take about 30 - 40 minutes from Naples.

Ostia Antica, the old port of Rome, is just outside the city and is well preserved. Most people don't seem to know about this and it's an easy visit if you're staying in Rome.

Back