Poor Monitor Image Quality

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey up.... bit of help needed please! :help:

just wondering of anybody could shed some light on my problem…

I have a Philips PHP-X19 19inch flat gloss screen monitor.

This (sorry for the ebay link all i could find!): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-inch-Phillips-Flatscreen-Monitor-Faulty_W0QQitemZ330313077768QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors?hash=item330313077768&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

My images look very un-sharp and just poor quality. I have tried photoshop, the windows viewer and Olympus master 2 to view, With them all the quality is not great.

But… once uploaded onto flickr they come to life and look sharp and as they should do! Why wont the editing packages do this?

the monitor is set to quality setting, 1024x768, highest colour quality thro the NVIDIA set up window (what ever that is!)

i have played around but im no PC expert and cant fix it by trial and error!

Any advice greatly apperciated. Many thankls in advance :)

bob

Are you saying they look ok on flickr using the same monitor?
Or that you upload them and look at them on somebody else's monitor and they look good?

I cant find any specifications on your particular monitor....
But to start with, to get the best picture quality out of a LCD screen it needs to be set to its native resolution and i`m pretty sure that 1024x768 is not its native resolution.
Most 19" screens have a native resolution of 1440 x 900. Try setting it to this and see if its any better.

I cant find any specifications on your particular monitor....
But to start with, to get the best picture quality out of a LCD screen it needs to be set to its native resolution and i`m pretty sure that 1024x768 is not its native resolution.
Most 19" screens have a native resolution of 1440 x 900. Try setting it to this and see if its any better.

I owe you a pint mate! it all seams better will really know when i edit again! many thanks for taking the time to help me! (y)

bob

My dad has a similar model to that, I think it is awful for photographs, doesn't really show sharpness or colour very well :(

I think that monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024. If it's the one I think it is then its a 4:3 display, not widescreen.

If your monitor looks the same as the one you linked to then it'll be a wide screen.
But if its more of a squarer than a rectangle screen then it will be a standard 4:3 and as pxl8 rightly pointed out the native resolution usually would be 1280 x 1024.

If your monitor is a true plug and play monitor, its native resolution should be the maximum allowed in your windows control panel. i.e. when the slider is to its far right.

If your images appear to be fine on flicker but bad in your editing software it's likely got nothing to do with your monitor although it's always best to have an lcd set at it's native res. Have you tried using adobe gamma that came with photoshop to adjust the way images are shown? you'll find it in control panel.

found the monitor factory default reset which takes the res. slider all the way to the right. Buts its strange flickr looked good...

But now flicker is even better quality and editing is spot on quality. Think it was all down to the res.!

Many thanks for the advise! :) :)

bob

Back