Poor shots - but how could they have been better?

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all

A couple of not-very-good shots. I'm basically a noob so any advice on how these could have been better would be great!

St Pauls, more sky over it? All around? The dome down in one corner maybe?

Cityscape, I've had a brief fiddle in PSE, but any ideas on this or the basic framing of the shot, what to wait for etc would be great!!

Please fee free to be brutally honest :)

Thanks in advance
James.

#1 - St Pauls:
DSCF2048_edited-1.jpg

#2 - City, looking towads Tower Bridge from London Wall:
CNV00030_edited-4.jpg

They look fine too me, maybe a more central composition for the first, and the second one a crop to reduce the sky as theres not much interest in it.

I am no expert, but st pauls i would remove the bottom couple of cm's as that doesnt add anything, maybe use that to add some more sky above the top. Also the building looks too dark so maybe a slower shutter speed to get more detail, although you will lose some of the sky...

I really like the 2nd one, I think seeing a larger version would realkly suit it.

Maybe try some Shadows & Highlights then Curves in PS. Maybe try this after using the Select tool. Alternatively lose all the detail in St Paul's and treat it as a silhouette. The burning in of the sky seems to have added blotches on the second shot. Sbowler's right about losing the top of the sky and going for letter-box format. I think I'd lose the lower shadow too. Just a couple of thoughts James.

Regards, Tony

possibly i would up the contrast on the second shot a bit and as stated before some croping. I cant seem to see a good strong black, so i think it would benefit from the boost in contrast. Just my thoughts

Back