Pop up flash.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently purchased a Nissin Di622 mk2 and I'm asking advice on how to stop the inbuilt pop up flash from activating at the same time. I'm on TTL setting in camera. Do I use it in slave mode on the speedlight?

Read the manual for your camera. It'll tell you how to turn it off there?

It might also be popping up if you're using anything else than manual mode.

It shouldn't be popping up with a dedicated Nikon TTL (or equivalent) flashgun attached to the hotshoe surely. It doesn't with a SB800 attached here.

Are you saying that the on board flash is activating whilst the Nissin is mounted?

If so, that's definitely not meant to happen. There is a sensor (pressure) button on the hotshot that is meant to detect a flash mounted in it and disable the on board system.

You have two choices if that's the case; start googling for jammed hotshot (or similar) or get it in for repair -especially if still in warrantee.

I'm using the flash off the hot shoe away from the camera and the pop up is still flashing. I'm using man mode and ap setting.

In which case you need to disable the flash in the menus. If you are using a Nikon TTL lead, the camera should not pop up the flash though. How is it connected to the camera?

When you say the built in pop up flash is activated do you mean it pops up automatically or is it giving out a burst of light effecting the exposure or more importantly overall illumination of the shot? Whereas you're only wanting the Nissin flash to actually send out a burst if flash.

If so you'll need to go into your camera menu (assuming you're using Nikon) and set your pop up as 'commander mode and make sure there's an -- symbol alongside it then your ready to go. Assuming you're using Nikon's CLS system?

Also what model of camera are you using? I don't think the Nikon D3100 has a commander mode :(

sounds like you trying to use the Nissin in slave mode...your camera will need to have the pop up flash up and working as this will trigger the Nissin. What you might have issues with is the Nissin might flash on the pre-flash from the pop up..causing flash sync issue.

Edit:
Ok looks like the Nissin Di622 mark2 has the wireless feature built in....you will still need the pop up flash I would assume to meter the scene...

Last edited:
It should only pop up in Auto or certain scene modes, that's regardless of anything else.

Last edited:
It should only pop up in Auto or certain scene modes, that's regardless of anything else.

I think he's using it to trigger the Nissin remotely - is there a way of it doing that without popping up?:thinking:

I think he's using it to trigger the Nissin remotely - is there a way of it doing that without popping up?:thinking:

So this isn't about the surprise popping up of the flash and it's about why does it flash?

Another "why does my onboard flash go off when using a flash in slave mode?" thread!

So this isn't about the surprise popping up of the flash and it's about why does it flash?

Another "why does my onboard flash go off when using a flash in slave mode?" thread!
It appears so..
I'm using the flash off the hot shoe away from the camera and the pop up is still flashing. I'm using man mode and ap setting.

The flash, both on board and Nissin are flashing in sync. There is no issue with it when on the camera hot shoe. I'm going to try it in manual mode with the power on the Nissin at various strengths. Sorry to cause all this trouble fellas, all I want to do is use the Nissin to create effects under arches, doorways and bridges.

The flash, both on board and Nissin are flashing in sync. There is no issue with it when on the camera hot shoe. I'm going to try it in manual mode with the power on the Nissin at various strengths. Sorry to cause all this trouble fellas, all I want to do is use the Nissin to create effects under arches, doorways and bridges.

Whether in Manual or TTL, if you're using the camera in Commander mode it needs to pop up the flash because it's the flash that communicates with the Nissin.

You can control how much effect it has on the image, but you can't stop it popping up.

When firing an off cam flash using Nikon's CLS, you do need the on board flash to trigger, unless you stick a wireless trigger onto the hotshoe and receiver on the flash, or use a hot-shoe cord to connect both. Otherwise the camera is trying to help you fire that off cam flash by popping the built on flash. You can go to the flash menu and set the on board flash to "--" - so it has no effect on the shot.

When firing an off cam flash using Nikon's CLS, you do need the on board flash to trigger, unless you stick a wireless trigger onto the hotshoe and receiver on the flash, or use a hot-shoe cord to connect both. Otherwise the camera is trying to help you fire that off cam flash by popping the built on flash. You can go to the flash menu and set the on board flash to "--" - so it has no effect on the shot.

That depends - it can have no effect, but sometimes it does. If you want to be sure it won't either cover the pop up with an old exposed negative or use the widget Nikon sell specifically for this so the visible portion of the light is blocked

I have the nissen and a d7000, when in Creative Lighting mode the manual states the inbuilt flash has to be in the raised position even if its turn off in the menu, ie commander mode only.

I have the nissen and a d7000, when in Creative Lighting mode the manual states the inbuilt flash has to be in the raised position even if its turn off in the menu, ie commander mode only.

Having the onboard flash in commander mode doesn't automatically mean that it's turned off. It can still be set to contribute light to the scene depending on the settings you input via the menu. Only if you set the operating mode to "--" (rather than "TTL" or "M") will the flash output be restricted to pre-flash and trigger pulses.

Even in "--" you can still see the pre-flash pulses as they are needed to meter the scene (unless you're working in manual exposure mode, of course). They don't contribute to the final image, however, because they happen before the shutter opens.

just digging across the web, the Nikon CLS is wireless:), but it's NOT wireless:eek: , let me explain:
When you see "wireless" you automatically think radio waves, but in the Nikon CLS this isn't true:wacky:, the CLS actually sends the commands to the remote units in the pre-flash from the master, so you do need to have the pop-up flash on the camera if it is the master, and all the remote slaves must be in line of sight of this flash. If in pure commander mode this is the only light emitted, but it can be set to also act as a "real" flash as well.

Hope this explains more, 'cause I didn't realize it didn't use radio until I dug deeper after reading this thread :D

Back