Poppies 2011 - locations?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I noticed a few poppies on the roadside, so the blooming season must be on the way.

On saturday I checked a couple fields near Cheltenham, but this year they have rapeseeds down there:bang:.

Please share if you know any good poppy fields. Personally I would prefer anything around Bristol / somerset (the closer the better) up to worcestershire or dorset, but others may be interested in different locations.

I can't help with the answer but am also interested. I've been looking around Cheltenham but my usual places are devoid of poppies. Where are they this year?

I found 3 just outside Sandhurst in Gloucester. That's 3 poppies, not 3 fields! I shall keep an eye out, as I'd like some too, buttercups are getting boring.

Another Cheltonian looking for poppies here.

Dont be put off by the fact that there a fields with rape in them. Last year at Severn Springs the poppies were growing in the fields with rape. They may still be coming!

Last edited:
Another Cheltonian looking for poopies here.

Dont be put off by the fact that there a fields with rape in them. Last year at Severn Springs the poppies were growing in the fields with rape. They may still be coming!

Thats possibly the worst typo you could have done!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Severn Springs is the obvious place but also worth looking either side of the road leading to Birdlip hill.

Ive been looking for poppy fields up north for years, last year I saw 2 fields on the way to York (south of York) on the main road we were/all the family, with screaming grandchildren in the campervan gong on a family holiday in a static to Whitby, I was delighted to see them and said Im gonna go down the next road and park up, to go back for some shots wife said take shots on the way back, worse thing is we didn't go back the same way, :bang: but I know exactly were they were and this year Im going in the car

Id be interested if anyone else knows any up north (y)

Last edited:
there's quite a few flowering on roundabouts up north (clitheroe)

whilst not quite a full field's worth

TCR4x4 said:
Im going to pop up there now, see whats what.

Cool, let us know what it's like. Based in Bristol so a bit far to head to to check out but close enough to go to to shoot if they're in bloom!

Trouble with poppies is they're annuals and the seeds may lay dormant for 70 years plus. The locations I saw them in last year are bereft of them this year. Having said that, I've found two fields thus far. One is near to Newton Abbot on the left of the main road on the way to Teignmouth. The other is near Budleigh Salterton, East Devon. The link below is a photo I took last week. The best advice I can offer is to contract local weed control or agrochemcial companies. They often know where the fields are because they may be asked to deal with them, this year or next year. That's how I found out about the field in Budeleigh. Good luck, and keep the posts coming!

http://community.thisisplymouth.co.uk/_Ablaze-with-colour/photo/14046392/72100.html?enlarge=true

OOOOOOH where please Imran, I go on holiday Thursday for a week they should still be there when I get home

Ah just re read your post

along the a59 between clitheroe and gisburn - there's two in particular that are really nice. i was really tired but i should've taken pics :(

Well, that was a waste of time..

40 miles driven and not a single bloody poppy. Been all up past Seven Springs, then Andoversford and through all the little lanes, back towards Ciren through the little villages, farm tracks, dead end lanes.. Ended up in Birdlip and then through to Painswick and Upton St leonards before giving up and coming home.

No my photo hence why I will only link it but here is a photo of some poppies taken in Worcestershire, and they are geo-taged which should make them a bit easier to find (y) just a bit to far for me to justify the drive :thumbsdown:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip_lench/5778127002/

Matt
MWHCVT

Wow Matt thems the sort of fields Ive lnoged to see, fabulous (y)

If you live that way flickr mail him sure he'll tell you were they are exactly (y)

Last edited:
I've also noticed that Seven Springs area that was bountiful last year is devoid of anything so far this year.
Had a wander up Leckhampton earlier to have a look over the back and there are only the odd one or two amongst the rape and sugar snap peas.
Looks like we're going to be barren this year in Gloucs?

I've also noticed that Seven Springs area that was bountiful last year is devoid of anything so far this year.
Had a wander up Leckhampton earlier to have a look over the back and there are only the odd one or two amongst the rape and sugar snap peas.
Looks like we're going to be barren this year in Gloucs?

Seems that way so far.. Looks like I'll have to go further afield.

Ok thanks will have a ride as soon as i can, they are in short supply this year.

Just Dave said:
Well a location would be good :thinking: how the heck do we know where just down the rd from you is its not in your profile

It was in response to the post above.

I can confirm there is a small field of them just off J18 of the M4 on the northern side.

Been all round Tewkesbury, Eastnor, Strensham, Tirley, Twyning, Defford, Church End, Forthampton, Chaceley, Norton, Twigworth, and the Wainlodes... (not in that order mind)

No poppies.
Another 40 odd miles too.

There's the odd one around Swindon, but near me are a few giant ones in people's gardens

Back