Portable HDDs and software

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know if it's possible to install software on a portable hard drive and then run it on which ever computer it is plugged in to?

I think you'll find that is totally dependant on the software in question. There are some 'wrappers' that allow this to be done on programs that aren't capable, but I'm yet to see one that works effectively.

As above :). I know Photomatrix Pro runs fine on it.

Cheers guys - it's mainly so I can process pictures while I'm away with work, the problem being that I'm not allowed to install any programs on my work laptop ... will give it a try tonight :)

Without knowing the exact software you'll be using it's hard to say for sure, but as andrewc has pointed out a lot of software will snuggle up very closely to Windows and bury itself all over the place, so it's doubtful you'd get it run from from an external drive without it being installed in the laptop's OS. And if your IT department are worth their salt, they'll know what you've been up to as they'll have automated reports running on installed software, patches, etc.

I know we used to when I was doing that sort of thing. Always funny to hear people plead their innocence when I've got a screen in front of me telling me exactly what's on their PC, where it was installed to, when it was done, etc.

I'd say it's probably better not to risk it, especially if you've signed any sort of agreement where you agree not to install software on your work's laptop without prior approval from IT.

The reason work does not wish you to install software on their PCs is for a reason. I would imagine that they would not be awfully happy with the idea of you finding a workaround, certainly if you tried to do that on any of my systems I would seek disciplinary action.

I would strongly advise against you trying it.

Chris

A better solution is to find a requirement to use that software in your work duties and get employer to buy it for you....worked for me!!!!

Back