Portable Hide or Ghillie Suit

Name
Gaz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Happy New Year!!

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where there are quite a few Red Kites but also Buzzards. I actually saw 4 Buzzards in 1 location yesterday so went back today with the camera and 3 of them were there but I scared them all away.

If I want to improve my chances of photographing them, what should I be looking at in terms of blending in? The Ghillie Suits look horrific but happy to get one if I need one. Or are there some portable hides which are good?

Do I need to look at baiting the area for birds of prey in the wild? If so, what would you suggest for Buzzrds/Kites, as I know they like road-kill and dead stuff but would they eat chicken breast/legs from the shop?

Thanks all.

Do you know the landowner? If you could get permission/access to a private area, corner of a field? Ask if you could build a small hide/screen, just something big enough to sit in, 4 wooden pallets, 3 sides and a top?, camo net thrown over?. The birds would soon become accustomed to it, you'd just have to plan your entry exit times so as not to scare them away.

Pop-up hides are ok, I have one and use it occasionally but with limited success, I've found birds can be a little wary of it suddenly appearing.

As for baiting, it's not for me, I personally don't do it but it does go on. If you're going to do it, I'd say use roadkill, something the birds will feed on naturally in the wild.

The other thing to add is, try to learn your quarry, they're creatures of habit. It takes a little more time but worth it in the end and the results feel more rewarding.

Good luck and post some shots when you get some (y)

Hi Phil.

Thanks for this! It is actually on the side of a main road, there's quite a wide verge and I have seen them on the floor eating a dead deer but also a dead pheasant, Good idea on the hide from pallets, will see if I can get hold of the farmer/landowner who has the field opposite, and behind the verge.

Fair - good idea on the roadkill, I know they are big in to the carrion! There's plenty of roadkill around there unfortunately as there are many deers which get knocked down there.

Folding chair and a camo net
was going to be my suggestion after establishing whether the birds were spooked by you moving into position or if you were in place and then spooked them.

The ghillie suit would work if you plan on crawling into a position, if you are set up waiting then cammo net is far less embarasing on the walk to the spot.

Ghillie suits are hot to wear... no fun in warm weather. If they are roadside maybe stay in the vehicle, approach with the window already rolled down... vehicles can make great mobile hides.

Reactions: Nod
I’m with Steve on this one especially if it’s roadside . Cars make super hides and birds / animals are used to them

Ghillie suits are hot to wear... no fun in warm weather. If they are roadside maybe stay in the vehicle, approach with the window already rolled down... vehicles can make great mobile hides.

A quick tale...

A mate camped out in his car in a car park somewhere in the highlands, hoping to get a few shots of stags at a distance so he fitted a 500mm lens. At dawn, he was woken up by strange noises which turned out to be a stag licking his windows. No shots but an unforgettable experience!

Hi Gaz

If it is roadside you could place scrim on your open window of your car, to help prevent the birds seen you through a clear window.

David

Back