Portable lighting solutions

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I've had a google on this and think I've got some answers but thought it might be easier to pick your collective brains!

I'm looking for a lighting set-up (initially just a couple of flash heads but with the possibility to extend in the future) that I can use both in the studio and on location.

I know Bowens do the travelpaks and have recently come across the Lencarta review that EdBray which has been very helpful.

Hmm...rambling without a definite question here...sorry - I think the crus of it is this -

Would I be able to use the bowens/lencarta/anyone else kit from a mains power supply as well as from their battery supplies or are you tied to using the system from the battery supply even when shooting at a location where power is available?

Thats another solution I was thinking of, not seen that one before. Will have more of a look at it...thanks!

Only thing its almost twice the weight of the Lencarta power packs...

Or if you need something now, then get Profoto.

:LOL: Profoto are truly a great brand but they are extremely expensive.
If your not using this kind of rig every day then it's far more economical to hire.
If your on a budget and do not need over 600w/s then Lencarta set ups seem very reasonable.

Though if you want to overpower daylight on location, you going to need alot of power and that means big (or lots of) battery.

Exactly. 7B pack for example is a great and very flexible pack, but it costs around the 3K mark.

It's expensive when you go down the profoto route, especially if your lighting large areas, the bigger the distances, the more power is needed.

It's cheaper to hire the gear if your not using them frequently enough.
If you find that investing in an inventory of profoto's is economical for you or your business then I would suggest considering a lease.

With the Lencarta you're tied to using the battery pack regardless or whether or not you have mains power available. Not really a problem though, as the pack will power at least 1150 flashes between charges and you can have a pre-charged spare battery for another £100.
You can plug the external charger into the mains and the Lencarta Safari pack. It won't charge the pack whilst the pack is in use but it will charge it whenever you switch the pack off, for example when you stop for coffee or while the model's getting changed - but as I say you get at least 1150 flashes so that probably won't be necessary.

As I understand it, the Bowens travelpack, which runs on a completely different principle and which is extremely heavy, is redundant when there is mains power and you'll be able to plug the heads directly into the mains.

The Profoto is probably the best available, if your budget will stand it. Horses for courses really.

Thanks folks,

I know the profoto kit and would love to be able to justify the cost but I agree with Tomas re: hiring/leasing.

Probably best to get my hands on a few of the systems and see what feels good I reckon.

Cheers folks!

Back