Portable softbox for Speedlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have softboxes and brollies for my Lencarta smartflash 3 kit - I'm looking for a portable yet functional soft box to suit speedlights ( for use outside)

Do they do the job?? I saw a 30cm Octabox on the Lencarta web site- however: this is out of stock!- https://www.lencarta.com/30cm-speedlight-octa-softbox

Previously I have been using a large Flashbender- but the light fall off is a tad too much ( yes I know inverse square law and all that)

I don't have a budget for portable flash heads- hence me seeking a usable softbox for speedlights

Thank in advance

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming you are not looking to stand mount your speed light... You will still suffer from light fall off, simple law of physics bur it may be less apparent when using a soft box.

Probably important to remember that even a 30cm diffuser is still going to be a relatively small source of light, particularly as you move further away, saying that I do still use portable soft boxes when reasonably close to the subject (please note I am not a people photographer). I use products from Apollo and Wescott, however I do find that some of the best light comes from a simple, quite large, 45degree bounce card.

Have a look at these. I have the 40cm one - works fine. One thing to look out for is the dimension of the bracket - if you have a larger sized speed light, you need to make sure they fit. I have Yongnuos and they fit this bracket ok

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interfit-Strobies-S-Mount-Speedlight-Bracket/dp/B00SSQ5YDG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508754585&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=interfit+strobies&th=1

Thank you Carol-I already have 3 of those (for Speedlights and the 60cm softboxes that fit that mount- for in my studio ) which I sometimes use in conjunction with the Lencarta studio heads I have - I'm looking for an on camera soft box for portability :) whilst shooting portraits outside

I am assuming you are not looking to stand mount your speed light... You will still suffer from light fall off, simple law of physics bur it may be less apparent when using a soft box.

Probably important to remember that even a 30cm diffuser is still going to be a relatively small source of light, particularly as you move further away, saying that I do still use portable soft boxes when reasonably close to the subject (please note I am not a people photographer). I use products from Apollo and Wescott, however I do find that some of the best light comes from a simple, quite large, 45degree bounce card.

Yes that's what I'm after a portable softbox for on camera speedlight or hand held off camera using a trigger etc :)

failing that I'll have to buy a portable studio head- may I ask what size reflector you use?

Previously I have been using a large Flashbender- but the light fall off is a tad too much ( yes I know inverse square law and all that)
I think your issue is a lack of power as opposed to "falloff" per-se, and a softbox isn't going to help that. It could be a lack of directional control which is something different. IMO, any softbox that can be used on camera is too small to really be of any use (except maybe for macro work).

Yes that's what I'm after a portable softbox for on camera speedlight or hand held off camera using a trigger etc :)

failing that I'll have to buy a portable studio head- may I ask what size reflector you use?
A4 card works for me...

I have 3 of those mounts that I use for Speedlights in the studio - My lencarta kit is this - https://www.lencarta.com/smartflash-3-twin-softbox-flash-kit-600w

not really for use with the mounts you posted

Les
Seems to be Bowens S-mount. As mentioned above no on camera modifier will give you soft light unless youre really up close. Best option and the reason for my 2c is to get the flash off camera on e.g. a W.A.L.S with a true softbox size 60-90cm. The flashbender is also only effective up close.

The flashbender is also only effective up close.
IMO, the flashbender (and any other bounce card type) is only effective in sending a little fill light forward in combination with bouncing the majority of the light elsewhere. Otherwise there is little point... even at the widest zoom setting the light leaving the fresnel lens doesn't spread much within a foot distance. Yes it is larger, but not large enough to prevent it from being hard/linear for anything beyond the typical MFD.

Putting a "softbox cover" on the flash bender does help, some flashbenders come with one as part of the kit

To be honest, a softbox large enough to make a difference is too big for mounting in camera. Ergo any softbox small enough for on camera is useless.

Bouncing creates better soft light, or even harder more dramatic light with the right zoom angle, in fact, learning about bounce beats any flash mounted gizmo on the market.

If I need a softbox, an 80cm on a long arm is the minimum, if I need total portability, bouncing is usually the best thing.

To be honest, a softbox large enough to make a difference is too big for mounting in camera. Ergo any softbox small enough for on camera is useless.

Bouncing creates better soft light, or even harder more dramatic light with the right zoom angle, in fact, learning about bounce beats any flash mounted gizmo on the market.

If I need a softbox, an 80cm on a long arm is the minimum, if I need total portability, bouncing is usually the best thing.

After using off camera flash in a softbox for sometime, I am finally coming round to bounce flash myself and getting satisfactory results. A long way to go yet but it's a method I am pursuing.

Bounce is great when it’s possible. There are situations when it won’t then you need another option, and then direct flash or flash bender may be the least worst choice.

Bounce is great when it’s possible. There are situations when it won’t then you need another option, and then direct flash or flash bender may be the least worst choice.
When I can't bounce, I resort to handholding the flash off camera (there's interesting stuff to be done with that)

My 'favourite' modifier I'd the quick bounce, but it requires a bounce surface.

My point is really that a 'mini softbox' is about the worst example of flash modifier (along with a Fong dong) making people 'think' they're softening light when they're doing very little to improve the situation.

It's just that bounce surfaces outdoors e.g in parks can be very hard to find :) But other than that I do agree

I have softboxes and brollies for my Lencarta smartflash 3 kit - I'm looking for a portable yet functional soft box to suit speedlights ( for use outside)

Do they do the job?? I saw a 30cm Octabox on the Lencarta web site- however: this is out of stock!- https://www.lencarta.com/30cm-speedlight-octa-softbox

I don't have a budget for portable flash heads- hence me seeking a usable softbox for speedlights

Thank in advance

Les

There's a typo in the description of that Lencarta mini softbox - it's 20cm wide, not 30cm. Better than nothing, but it won't do much noticeable softening beyond 5-6ft from the subject max. Have a look at Lumiquest - best for speedlite attachments IMHO. For use outdoors, I'd go for at least 60cm on a stand, but apart from size, the usual problem with speedlites outdoors is power - daylight is bright.

I use a Roundflash Dish (among other things) with speedlites, usually indoors on a camera bracket, but I have used it outdoors just held up in my left hand https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoundFlash...id=1508860757&sr=1-1&keywords=roundflash+dish At 45cm it's big enough to make a difference, extremely light, and very quick to set-up.

There's a typo in the description of that Lencarta mini softbox - it's 20cm wide, not 30cm. Better than nothing, but it won't do much noticeable softening beyond 5-6ft from the subject max. Have a look at Lumiquest - best for speedlite attachments IMHO. For use outdoors, I'd go for at least 60cm on a stand, but apart from size, the usual problem with speedlites outdoors is power - daylight is bright.

I use a Roundflash Dish (among other things) with speedlites, usually indoors on a camera bracket, but I have used it outdoors just held up in my left hand https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoundFlash...id=1508860757&sr=1-1&keywords=roundflash+dish At 45cm it's big enough to make a difference, extremely light, and very quick to set-up.
I don't think that's right, they are made in 15, 20 and 30cm sizes and the sku indicates that it is a 30cm one.

I don't think that's right, they are made in 15, 20 and 30cm sizes and the sku indicates that it is a 30cm one.

Then the illustration is wrong Garry. The one shown can't be more than 20cm.

Then the illustration is wrong Garry. The one shown can't be more than 20cm.
You may be right about that, it's possible that the same photos have been used for all 3 sizes

Godox do a multi soft box about 50cm that can double as a beauty dish. I find it relatively portable off camera on a monopod, works well at a comic con type event for example

I use the Gamilight43 softbox on my speedlight if I want something really light. Can't be used on camera though. This is a great piece of kit I have used it lots. Please take note. I'm just a hobbiest so may be talking twaddle but lots of my best photos have been taken using it.

Gaz

I use the Gamilight43 softbox on my speedlight if I want something really light. Can't be used on camera though. This is a great piece of kit I have used it lots. Please take note. I'm just a hobbiest so may be talking twaddle but lots of my best photos have been taken using it.

Gaz

I have that Gamilight 43 too, very nice and more efficient than the Roundflash Dish, ie a bit brighter. But it's a fiddle putting together on location, unless you have three hands. Roundflash Dish is a similar size, but really fast and easy, folds away away into a small package, and is actually even lighter. I also prefer the way it attaches to the flash gun.

I have that Gamilight 43 too, very nice and more efficient than the Roundflash Dish, ie a bit brighter. But it's a fiddle putting together on location, unless you have three hands. Roundflash Dish is a similar size, but really fast and easy, folds away away into a small package, and is actually even lighter. I also prefer the way it attaches to the flash gun.
Never seen a Roundflash before so couldnt comment on those. It's nice to hear that someone else as a Gamilight though :) The only niggle with the Gamilight was I used to take the strap off the flash after use until it snapped. not cheap to replace for what it is. They recommend you leave it on so I have had no issues since and tbh it does no harm being left on.

Gaz

Last edited:

Thank you Phil- this only came to light ( pardon the pun) when shooting a friends Church wedding, no place to bounce the speedlight- no room to use off camera flash on a stand-with softbox/brolly etc) I resorted to using a Flashbender
the images still looked very harshly lit on some images

Les

PS: Thanks to all for the suggestions

I think your issue is a lack of power as opposed to "falloff" per-se, and a softbox isn't going to help that. It could be a lack of directional control which is something different. IMO, any softbox that can be used on camera is too small to really be of any use (except maybe for macro work).

I see so a higher power flash may be on the cards then- I have a pair of Nissin Di700's

Specifications

Type : for Sony Digital SLR cameras
Guide no. (at ISO 100 in M) :
GN54 (at 200mm zoom head position)
GN48 (at 105mm zoom head position)
GN28 (at 35mm zoom head position)

link; https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nissin-di700-air-flashgun-and-commander-bundle-sony-1569550/

any suggestions on a make / model?

I see so a higher power flash may be on the cards then- I have a pair of Nissin Di700's

Specifications

Type : for Sony Digital SLR cameras
Guide no. (at ISO 100 in M) :
GN54 (at 200mm zoom head position)
GN48 (at 105mm zoom head position)
GN28 (at 35mm zoom head position)

link; https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nissin-di700-air-flashgun-and-commander-bundle-sony-1569550/

any suggestions on a make / model?
Falloff is a factor of power over area, and it happens at both ends... i.e. if you spread the light over a larger area to create a larger source (i.e. softbox) it has less power/area and won't go as far (falloff/ISL)... this is shown in the reducing guide numbers (distances) for the wider zoom positions of a speedlight. So if you're planning on using a larger modifier from the same distance, you need more power. Or, if you want the light to go farther you can spread it less initially (zoom the flash). It wouldn't surprise me if your use of the flashbender is actually rather wasteful and not directing most of the light to the subject in the end.

You're not going to make a lot of gains with a different speedlight IMO. A Nissin Di866 has a GN of 41m at 35mm (~ 50%, .5 stop increase) and that's at the higher end of typical speedlights. For on camera use I think your best answer is to reduce the distance and/or reduce the amount of spread/loss initially. Of course you could increase the ISO/aperture to reduce the required light from the speedlight, but that will also affect everything else about the image.

The better choice is to get it off camera where you can gang your speedlights together (2x power) and where higher power units are more feasible (AD200/AD360/etc). I've used the AD360 and AD200 on camera, but I can't really recommend it... especially mounted in the camera hotshoe (mounted to a sturdy flash bracket is more feasible).

Last edited:
Falloff is a factor of power over area, and it happens at both ends... i.e. if you spread the light over a larger area to create a larger source (i.e. softbox) it has less power/area and won't go as far (falloff/ISL)... this is shown in the reducing guide numbers (distances) for the wider zoom positions of a speedlight. So if you're planning on using a larger modifier from the same distance, you need more power. Or, if you want the light to go farther you can spread it less initially (zoom the flash). It wouldn't surprise me if your use of the flashbender is actually rather wasteful and not directing most of the light to the subject in the end.

You're not going to make a lot of gains with a different speedlight IMO. A Nissin Di866 has a GN of 41m at 35mm (~ 50%, .5 stop increase) and that's at the higher end of typical speedlights. For on camera use I think your best answer is to reduce the distance and/or reduce the amount of spread/loss initially. Of course you could increase the ISO/aperture to reduce the required light from the speedlight, but that will also affect everything else about the image.

The better choice is to get it off camera where you can gang your speedlights together (2x power) and where higher power units are more feasible (AD200/AD360/etc). I've used the AD360 and AD200 on camera, but I can't really recommend it... especially mounted in the camera hotshoe (mounted to a sturdy flash bracket is more feasible).

Many thanks for the detailed response Steven.

-I am seriously looking at the Godox AD 360 as an alternative to the Nissin set up- I have the lencarta studio flash head and softboxes for use in the studio, just need a reliable out door flash

Les

These are an excellent idea as they are light,easy to carry, easy to put up and take down, they have a speedlight mount, can be hand held, mounted on a standard tripod or a lighting stand, I use a similar type myself a 95cm Mikrosat dodi box (dodecahedron) and am planning on getting the 24" newer as well (20" also available)

Newer collapsible 24" hexagonal soft box

Many thanks for the detailed response Steven.

-I am seriously looking at the Godox AD 360 as an alternative to the Nissin set up- I have the lencarta studio flash head and softboxes for use in the studio, just need a reliable out door flash

Les
Thats one development I didnt see coming :) While the AD360 is indeed a great flash there are a couple of things you need to take into acount. Its no where near as compact and portable as a speeplight being both bigger, heavier and having a seperate battery with a caple and its a barebulb design so youll have to use a "real" softbox, no flashbender or the like. Its an off camera flash not really suited for on camera use as stated before so youre looking at carrying a bigger heavier flash, a modifier of some sort, a lightstand and something to weigh that down.
I like mine so much though I carry it in my camera bag with camera kit and 2 TT685 and have my umbrellas and stands in a tripod bag together putting a total of around 14kg on the scale.

Thats one development I didnt see coming :) While the AD360 is indeed a great flash there are a couple of things you need to take into acount. Its no where near as compact and portable as a speeplight being both bigger, heavier and having a seperate battery with a caple and its a barebulb design so youll have to use a "real" softbox, no flashbender or the like. Its an off camera flash not really suited for on camera use as stated before so youre looking at carrying a bigger heavier flash, a modifier of some sort, a lightstand and something to weigh that down.
I like mine so much though I carry it in my camera bag with camera kit and 2 TT685 and have my umbrellas and stands in a tripod bag together putting a total of around 14kg on the scale.

Thank you for that insight- I have a few softboxes of various sizes 2 beauty dishes and 4 heavy duty Lenarta light stands 8 sandbags and a Landrover Discovery for those hard to reach location portrait shoots :)

Les ;)

Back