portable sound recorder

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a portable sound recorder for about 40 to 50 quid
It's for recording sound for 7D video footage
I will only use it a few times a year so don't want to spend too much
What I want to do is record puffins, want something that I can put in burrow entrance to record their calls:)

can't think of any in that precise region of price, stretch a bit and get a zoom H1 or tascam dr-05

Last edited:
Thanks Dave have had a look they both look just the job the zoom seems to be easier to get in the UK
Will get the missus to get it for my birthday:)

I do the odd Fusion photo/video slideshow so I I use a Sony Voice Recorder to record the vows and speeches at weddings and it does the job great. It's not quiet as polished as the Zoom but it's less than half the price.

Have a look at this clip, and you can hear the sound from it. At 0:04 it's taped onto the microphone the groom is using and at 2:55 it's in the grooms pocket and is attached to a lapel mike on his jacket. As you can see it picks up the bride and priest perfectly.

I use the Zoom for backup sound connected to the church speakers as it's easier to control the levels on the Zoom for this but I would definitely recommend the Sony and it's build quality is much better than the Zoom which is very cheap feeling although it does record better sound.

Last edited:
I do the odd Fusion photo/video slideshow so I I use a Sony Voice Recorder to record the vows and speeches at weddings and it does the job great. It's not quiet as polished as the Zoom but it's less than half the price.

Have a look at this clip, and you can hear the sound from it. At 0:04 it's taped onto the microphone the groom is using and at 2:55 it's in the grooms pocket and is attached to a lapel mike on his jacket. As you can see it picks up the bride and priest perfectly.

I use the Zoom for backup sound connected to the church speakers as it's easier to control the levels on the Zoom for this but I would definitely recommend the Sony and it's build quality is much better than the Zoom which is very cheap feeling although it does record better sound.

thanks very much for that Aindreas:)
see what you mean the sound quality is very good, excellent in fact considering the price

Back