Portable Storage and Viewer

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
What is the best viewer and portable storage unit, when shooting in nef/raw.
Am thinking of a tablet; but can't find one that reads raw files. Any help appreciated.

Not wanting to sound silly, but it's relative really :shrug:?

For an all-on-one viewer, I guess Epson's are pretty good.

Seeing that you're using Nikon D7000, which uses SD memory, you could go with an iPad and an SD card adaptor.

Or, you could go with an 11" MacBook Air?

Personally, I'm using the 13" MacBook Air, it's ideal for viewing while in the field, lightweight, runs native applications (including Lightroom), and I can easily attached terrabytes and terrabytes of storage via USB.

Taffyboy, what do you need it for?

And what's you're budget? They're not cheap. Had a (very) old Epson that was painfully slow and nearly bought a Vosonic recently, but they're a lot of money for what boils down to convenience.

You can get a decent laptop and portable HD for about the same money. Basic battery powered hard drives with integral reader are much cheaper, but no viewing. Check Amazon.

Do you want backup storage for shooting away from a PC or do you want something to show your processed images to other people?

For the former the Hyperdrive Colorspace is probably the best option.

For the latter, convert images to jpeg and stick them on an iPad.

Just to be able to view pics on a bigger screen when out and about. Also to show friends and family best pics when visiting. Did'nt want the size and weight of a laptop to lug around.

I think you are best with something like an iPad, although i'm not sure what capacities they go up to?

What about something the size of a net book?

I bought a netbook for my honeymoon. This allowed me to store copies of all my photos in case of disaster, but also to review and delete any rubbish ones whenever I had a spare moment (I know, it's a honeymoon! :D). However, these things aren't the quickest, so I found it helpful to shoot in RAW + JPG for quick reviewing purposes.

I have the dell streak 7, it's a nice size, has a 7 inch screen, built in sd card reader and it cost me £249. But the best bit is that it's so easy to use. Not tried it with raw images though.

How about a cable and attach the camera to the friends/family TV - review the pictures straight on the TV.

This won't save your pictures, but it is a good way of viewing.

I brought a 10" netbook with an SD reader built in. Was great for a few months, then I decided to upgrade from my 550D to a 7D which uses CF, but still had the 550D as backup so I could still use the netbook with the SD. Then I gave the 550D to the wife and upgraded to a 5DMkII which is also CF. Now the netbook hasn't been turned on for over a month. Ho hum! Worked great with my 550D and SD though, and tucked into my camera bag easily too.

I brought a 10" netbook with an SD reader built in. Was great for a few months, then I decided to upgrade from my 550D to a 7D which uses CF, but still had the 550D as backup so I could still use the netbook with the SD. Then I gave the 550D to the wife and upgraded to a 5DMkII which is also CF. Now the netbook hasn't been turned on for over a month. Ho hum! Worked great with my 550D and SD though, and tucked into my camera bag easily too.

no USB slots?

The best thing out there for what you want is probably still a HP tc1100 (still mad someone stole mine). If you can find one they usually go for about £200 used. Can do just about anything you want cause it can run Windows 7, and as tablet only weighs in under 1KG.

If you want new might consider a Acer W500, though you will need to lug an external HDD with it as it only has 32gb of internal storage.

Oh and iPads should be able to read most Nikon Raw files natively.

Last edited:
Although smaller than an ipad, I use my HTC Smartphone to carry photographs I have taken. They show up very well and it was just a case of changing my mobile phone.

I use an epson P6000, will take SD and CF, 80gb storage, allows RAW and will work tethered with a 5Dmk2, with firmware update. Also controls camera like a remote. Screen is excellent. Also the lowepro Vertex 200aw has pocket specifically for it. Cost me £265 The p7000 has a 160gb drive.

Back