Portable storage

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to buy either an epson p3000 (£219 at Digital depot, I think) or a canon m30 (£299, ditto).

Would there be any advantage in buying the Canon for a Canon 40D user such as myself (apart from interchangeable batteries)?

From what I've seen the Epson doesn't seem to support RAW files from the 40D. Am I correct? Would the Canon do that?

Any thoughts, please?

For £299 or less you could buy an Asus eeepc (£220) with an external hard drive plus card reader.

It's a very small lightweight laptop with a 7" screen and you can use it to edit images, convert raw files, basically anything you can do on a laptop.

For £299 or less you could buy an Asus eeepc (£220) with an external hard drive plus card reader.

It's a very small lightweight laptop with a 7" screen and you can use it to edit images, convert raw files, basically anything you can do on a laptop.

Looks good but only goes up to 4gb hard drive.

I looked at the Canon, but felt it was overpriced given the amount of storage space on it.

Practical Photography mag are doing a test review on these this month, 11 of them in total I think. I don't have the mag here but maybe someone else will oblige with more details.

Re the laptop - I was vaguely aware of this but really need to keep it simple. A laptop AND another hard drive is one more gadget too many.

That's understandable, like most things it has it's plus and minus points.

I'm looking to buy either an epson p3000 (£219 at Digital depot, I think) or a canon m30 (£299, ditto).

Would there be any advantage in buying the Canon for a Canon 40D user such as myself (apart from interchangeable batteries)?

From what I've seen the Epson doesn't seem to support RAW files from the 40D. Am I correct? Would the Canon do that?

Any thoughts, please?

According to this list http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...2FW46ZQmU002FlxsT7EK+vmBbmU002F6FBcU002F&cl=1 the P3000 and P5000 can read 40D with the latest firmware http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Fi...U002FW46ZQmU002FlxsT7EK+oSibs4CWqVO&id=320246

:) Apparently the Canon is very slow to copy from CF/SD not sure how the new Epsons perform.

What about one of the Archos PVR AV420 if you can find one on fleabay

They have a compact flash card slot and you can also connect a camera through usb to copy files to it.

The other thing that i thought might be useful would be using the video cable and live preview onto the archos so you can use its screen to preview, usefull if you didn't want to crawl on the floor for them wet knee shots.

Wish i never sold my one now.

only downside would be it wont show raw files, but jpeg's are ok.

Just a thought, How does the cost of CF cards for trip storage compare, IE more cards and deal with them all when back home?:)

Just a thought, How does the cost of CF cards for trip storage compare, IE more cards and deal with them all when back home?:)

Pretty much the same I think. You can get Sandisk III 4GB at round about £20, 10 of them gives you the same capacity as the P3000 at roughly the same price.

It just seems far quicker copying from the P2000 I have to the PC than it is from the card reader.

IanC

Thanks very much for the info on the firmware update for the P3000. It looks like t5hats the one for me.

General comment -

The advantage with using something like this rather than just CF cards is that you can edit your pics during rain or darkness, and delete the rubbish. That might be an argument for one with lesser rather than greater capacity too.

cheers, all

Back