portait/candid shots...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've been asked by 3 couples we are friends with if I would be willing to take candid shots at their weddings as a gift for them.

They are all having pro togs and tbh, if they asked me to do it, I'd say no. I haven't the experience or kit to be shooting a wedding.

However, candid shots I love doing, especially when I can get shots like this:

3570609809_5672384ecc.jpg

I am obviously looking for a couple of lenses. One for the day time shots, with a bit of a zoom because I want to take nice shots without getting in people's faces. One for later on to cover things like the first dance etc (would something like a 50mm 1.8 do for this?)

I am also going to need a decent flash as well as a spare battery. suggestions?

I also know nothing about portraiture/flash photography so can anyone recommend some books?

I've still got 3 months until the first one so plenty of time to practice :D

outside lens. any decent zoom lens with about 150-200 mm max will manage for candidsout of sight is out of mind.
the fifty is handy for indoor low light shots. the joys of f1.8.
go for the best dedicated flash you can afford.
preferably from the camera manufacturer.

I would suggest as you already have a 50mm as it is a cheap lens which does produce nice results I am sure someone will disagree that it is not suitable blah blah etc.

As for another lens get a something-200 all depends on budget which one you go for.

If you need a flash and can afford one a 900 get that I really think it knocks the socks off the 600 for future use as you become more demanding of it.

As for books there are so many sites with real advice use them

This site is excellent for learning flash and bouncing techniques

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/

Another great flash site

http://www.lighting-essentials.com/strobe-and-ambient-finding-the-mix-for-portraiture/

Hope that helps before someone more knowledgable comes along :)

I don't currently own a dedicated 50mm but it was on my list anyway so was wondering if I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak :D

Thanks for the advice and links :D

Back