Portfolio/Blog Website Review

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I was wondering if some of you could please spare a few minutes of your time and have a look at my website which I've built:

www.stevenfergusphotography.co.uk

I'm looking to see if anyone experiences any issues with loading times or formatting etc, also general comments would be much appreciated!

I've still got quite a lot to do in terms of the ecommerce side of things, pricing etc. I also need to update the blog!

Thanks

Images need titles / labels. Don't know that blog in this context needs updating in the same way that a stand-alone blog would. It can sit there quite happily just as a component of the website.

Last edited:
Images need titles / labels. Don't know that blog in this context needs updating in the same way that a stand-alone blog would. It can sit there quite happily just as a component of the website.
Thank you - I'll add titles and labels to the images. I suppose your right about the blog, but I do need to finish the last part of my WHW trip, it's way overdue (not that anyone reads it) :)

Not sure if it is my work connection as it can suck at times but it loads extremely slow for me!

Hmm I wonder if it's to do with the image size I'm using. I've exported the images in the gallery with a long edge of 1920 @ 72dpi.

Do you think the loading times would improve if I exported them all at 1000px, 72dpi and 75% quality?

File size is more important than image size, the smaller the file size the quicker they'll load. Also how are you hosting the site?

File size is more important than image size, the smaller the file size the quicker they'll load. Also how are you hosting the site?
I don't have access to my computer to check the file size of each image, I'll do that when I'm home on Friday and report back.

I'm hosting the site on my own reseller hosting account which I've had for years. The company used to be called zoom hosting but have changed name to Jaguar PC - https://www.jaguarpc.com/

Thanks Stuart, that's a great help!

I installed a cache application onto the website to speed things up a little. I've attached an image of my website speed score from the Google Developers Tool: Before it was "Poor 52/100", it's now showing as "Needs Works 71/100" which is a bit of an improvement.

One of the biggest things I noticed was the Server Response Time. The Google Page Speed Tool recommends that "You should reduce your server response time under 200ms", however mine seems to be averaging 1.5 seconds which is a long way away from 200ms. I have emailed my host to ask if there is anything I - or they - can do to improve it.

Would you guys mind testing it to see if there is any real world performance increase?

Attachments

• website-speed-results.jpg
    website-speed-results.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The speed has improved a lot (IMO) to what it was, but there's still a second or two delay before a new page loads. Getting there though!

You said you have a reseller account, do you have anything else hosted on this? Do they suffer from the same speed issues?

Thanks Stuart, that's a great help!

I installed a cache application onto the website to speed things up a little. I've attached an image of my website speed score from the Google Developers Tool: Before it was "Poor 52/100", it's now showing as "Needs Works 71/100" which is a bit of an improvement.

One of the biggest things I noticed was the Server Response Time. The Google Page Speed Tool recommends that "You should reduce your server response time under 200ms", however mine seems to be averaging 1.5 seconds which is a long way away from 200ms. I have emailed my host to ask if there is anything I - or they - can do to improve it.

Would you guys mind testing it to see if there is any real world performance increase?

I have exactly the same problem on my site, I'm going to move host soon as I've exhausted a lot of other options.

Loads pretty slow for me, takes around 5/10 seconds 25mbps download, not sure if that helps?

Last edited:
Back