Portfolio - Disappointed in professional results.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

I've recently had a series of new portfolio images printed by my local lab and the results don't seem to stand up to some inkjet prints I did myself a couple of years ago.

I don't get involved in printwork at all within my business so I'm a little out of touch. I've not really worried about prints since the days when I used photography to relax! I'm looking to reprint my portfolio myself and am looking for some paper recommendations. In the past I used to very much like the Ilford Galerie papers, and the Hahnemuhle rag (I think that's what it was called). Any suggestions for this type of work?

Baryta is really good thick semi glossy paper with nice colour reproduction. Unless you are looking for some special effects it is great choice.

C-type (your lab) may look a bit darker, duller and lack certain colours like vivid orange. It has its uses but fine art portfolio is probably not one of them

The Canson Baryta Photographique paper has a good reputation as does the Canson Platine but it is quite expensive, also Canson Photographique Rag.
Alternatively, Innova are good, Smooth Cotton High White and their Fibraprint White Gloss (f Type).
may be best to get some sample packs if you not up to date with the current ranges.
Dave

Chris

I can understand your disappointment. I've not been happy with the level of current photographic prints for some time, hence my purchase several years ago of an Epson 2880. My preferred paper on this machine was lfords Gallerie Gold Fibre silk, now to be no longer. However the Canson Byryta Photographique seems to be the same,or similar product. OK not cheap, but far better than disappointing prints.

John C

Chris

I can understand your disappointment. I've not been happy with the level of current photographic prints for some time, hence my purchase several years ago of an Epson 2880. My preferred paper on this machine was lfords Gallerie Gold Fibre silk, now to be no longer. However the Canson Byryta Photographique seems to be the same,or similar product. OK not cheap, but far better than disappointing prints.

John C

Thanks John,

I had not realised that Ilford had discontinued the Galerie Gold Fiber silk. A shame no doubt. B

Based on the overwhelming response I think I'll give the Canson Baryta Photographique a shot.

without having read all of this yet, sorry, have you tried the sample pack £5 from the www.theprintspace.co.uk

I haven't, thanks, that's a goods shout. I haven't been up to Print Space in a few years, I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to printing I'm afraid!

I've printed about 30 18x12s in several batches and have to say they are superb. I decided on Hahnemuhle Pearl as my paper of choice from them (after spending a long time looking at their sample pack) although I use their C-type Matt for B&W prints.

The canson baryta is a worthy replacement for the gfs however I intend to also give the new permajet gfs clone a try, reviews seem good for it.
On app so no idea where you are but if anywhere near me (suffolk/cambs border) welcome to come round and try some canson.....

Back