Portfolio size, crops and 'shrink to fit'

Name
Joshua
Edit My Images
Yes
I've searched through i few threads but haven't quite found what i want. So I'm using DSCL to print off some boxing pictures i'm going to include in my portfolio for a media related uni course.

I'm having trouble on deciding how to do this. I reckon A4 will be big enough, I've gone for lustre, autocorrected, standard (I've edited these in photoshop though, not sure if this is right) and no border.

I'm worried about the trim to fit, shrink to fit options. See i've already cropped the photos myself so they're different ratios. Trim to fit seems to crop the photo (i was thinking it would trim the paper at first :bonk: ) but will shrink to fit look unprofessional? With each photo being different ratio's?

Thanks! Any other tips are welcome.

Cropping is a skill, especially with sports photos, and something that you want to show off.

If I were you I'd print at it's cropped ratio to near enough A4 and then mount on black/grey A4 card to fit the portfolio.

Hi Joshua,

If you have edited the images in photoshop you should ideally use the pro pre corrected version, lustre finish and no border is correct. I always size my files to the exact print required for best results.

Ok great. I will use the pro version and will try get as close to A4 as possible but I think the grey/black card idea is great, and will try that! Thanks alot!

as an aside, hobby craft do packs of 50 a4 black card, but its in the childrens craft section, at £4.99 for the 50, its the cheapest I have found and it does the job.

For showcasing your work I would certainly revisit the originals and crop them to suit the size of paper you are printing on.

Back