Portobello, Edinburgh

I like the DOF in the first one............(y)

Great 'lead-in line' in the first which makes its strong image!

the second however lacks any real point of interest, the wooden structure is a bit boring IMHO, and the seaguls in the sky are too small so just look like dust spots of specs, think your right a slightly different view point and a stormy sea would much improve it!!

Really do like the first tho :D

Great 'lead-in line' in the first which makes its strong image!

the second however lacks any real point of interest, the wooden structure is a bit boring IMHO, and the seaguls in the sky are too small so just look like dust spots of specs, think your right a slightly different view point and a stormy sea would much improve it!!

Really do like the first tho :D

Hi aethelstan, thanks for the comments! I guess you mean the first lacks any real point of interest (the colour photo)? I agree.

I'll edit the post and number them to avoid confusion in the future.

That's home territory for me, I live close to the beach.

Good job with the pics, I like the B&W one best.

That's home territory for me, I live close to the beach.

Good job with the pics, I like the B&W one best.
Hi Des, thanks for the comments. I live in Leith (at the moment at least, will soon have to move away from Edinburgh so we can afford a larger flat) so it's not far for me either.

Like the top one - the uneven balance of the groyne supports gives the image movement.
Long up short down like morse code dah dit _ .
It also balances across the sand; smooth wet to the left, dry footprints to the right and lastly the sky; clear blue left - seagull speckled right.

The monotone doesn't really do anything for me as much as the groyne other than low viewpoint and the curl in the wave.

Last edited:
I think you're right in that both would look good with a stormy sea or an epic cloudy sky.
In the first I would be very tempted to carefully clone out those seagulls as I don't add anything to the image (only a couple identifiable as birds).

I think you're right in that both would look good with a stormy sea or an epic cloudy sky.
In the first I would be very tempted to carefully clone out those seagulls as I don't add anything to the image (only a couple identifiable as birds).
Many thanks for the feedback, Ruth. I do have another shot without the seagulls; I posted the one with because I thought they added something to the sky, but you're right that they're really too small to be effective in that regard.

Like the top one - the uneven balance of the groyne supports gives the image movement.
Long up short down like morse code dah dit _ .
It also balances across the sand; smooth wet to the left, dry footprints to the right and lastly the sky; clear blue left - seagull speckled right.

The monotone doesn't really do anything for me as much as the groyne other than low viewpoint and the curl in the wave.
Thanks for your comments, Shiba. A lovely interpretation! You have a very artistic eye.

Last edited:
Back