Critique Portraist with Omega Reflector

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Some of you may be aware of this thread LINK where I mulled over buying an Omega Reflector. Eventually I bit the bullent and then it took me another 3 months to use it in anger. I only took 5 photographs and I can see all kinds of errors in composition, blown highlights and catch light. But, as Hoppy predicted, it suits my style perfectly so I'm finally relieved to think about how I can use it for my next session.

CC on the photography (but not the model).

Fuji jpeg processed in Lightroom

Amanda-Herbert-Photography_0001 by M@ndy, on Flickr

Amanda-Herbert-Photography_0002 by M@ndy, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know you said
CC on the photography (but not the model).
but she is lovely - what gorgeous hair and those eyes!!

Slightly too hot for me in terms of exposure - and I do mean slightly :). I love the tones. Wondering if there could be more shadows ... perhaps ?? and yep I know the reflector is designed to almost eliminate them ...

I wonder if you could have cropped slightly leass of her head, just feels a tiny bit unbalanced to me, other than that I love the composition. I really do love intimate portraits like these.

I know you said

but she is lovely - what gorgeous hair and those eyes!!

Slightly too hot for me in terms of exposure - and I do mean slightly :). I love the tones. Wondering if there could be more shadows ... perhaps ?? and yep I know the reflector is designed to almost eliminate them ...

I wonder if you could have cropped slightly leass of her head, just feels a tiny bit unbalanced to me, other than that I love the composition. I really do love intimate portraits like these.
I agree with all these points - almost there, but not quite.

That's a beautiful portrait, Manda, but the catchlight in the eyes makes me think of a goat. I'd absolutely have to 'shop that away to use that lighting.

I like the shot, comp and the seemingly over exposure for some is nice for me, suits the model and the eyes shape and makeup is lovely - but not liking the reflection in the eyes throwing it off for me...very odd...the black / dark squares

Crazy catchlight... almost like a ringflash, but not. Wonderful portraits! What are your thoughts on the catchlights @manda ? Out of curiousity?

Exposure looks just at that point where there's no room to go...maxed out, but not quite over, for me that is... it looks more of the style that you're shooting. But I do have to agree with what @PaulButler said about the crop - maybe commit either a bit more to it, or bring it back out a bit. But to be fair, it really doesn't take away from what great portraits they are! :)

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Catchlights - ideally I'll pull the reflector further back to retain the full pupil. Loved the analogy if goats eyes, sums it up perfectly.

I did try a rough and dirty edit in LR, but it looked like a child had used tippex on her eye.

Blown out exposure - is the result of an overexposed jpeg that has been pushed too far. As others have guessed, the style in my head is close to this almost 80's edit (must be showing my age).

Crop - I actually feel awkward with the reflector and silly that I'm shooting through the hole. I don't think the model cared one jot, it's my anxiety that I can't connect in my usual way.

It's gonna take some practice to perfect the composition, exposure and 'pupil management' of the eye ball! Not to mention finding a willing volunteer.

I'll keep you posted with my explorations next time I use it. Mandy

Last edited:
I like the catchlights it's something unusual but not unusual if you follow Peter Hurley's work.

It's a lovely portrait.

Absolutely lovely work, I've been considering sacrificing an ordinary reflector to do something similar.

I'd zap the blemishes on her chest, and it looks like a longer focal length would be more flattering - though maybe you need a short lens for the reflector to do it's thing?

Absolutely lovely work, I've been considering sacrificing an ordinary reflector to do something similar.

I'd zap the blemishes on her chest, and it looks like a longer focal length would be more flattering - though maybe you need a short lens for the reflector to do it's thing?
I was thinking I need a longer focal length this morning (no chance in my small living room).

I also realised I'd forgotten to use my lens hood which would have cut down on the lens flare!

I was thinking I need a longer focal length this morning (no chance in my small living room).

I also realised I'd forgotten to use my lens hood which would have cut down on the lens flare!

I'd suggest the lens flare is part of the charm, adding a softness to the image that looks delicate and pleasing (and hard to reproduce well in post).

I don't see what I understand to be lens flare - i.e. coloured blobs opposite the light source. What I do see is loss of contrast, but sometimes that is rather nice imo - it works here. :)

Back