Portrait and Head Shots Advice/Tips

Fuji Dave

I'm in Clover
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks using both X-T2 and X-T20 I take or try to take photos of our local singers and bands out side which I really do enjoy. I have just treated my self to the Fuji XF 90mm f2 lens that will go on the X-T2 while my XF 35mm f2 will be on the X-T20, some of the singers are going to let me take portrait shots of them, but what is the best mode to use for these sort of shots, at the moment I shoot in full manaul. All shots would be taken out side too.

Last edited:
There isn't really a "best" mode. It's about which one you're most comfortable with.

If I'm doing portraits (with the X-T2 & 55-200) I tend to go min shutter 1/250 ('cos my hands wobble) & auto ISO up to 12800, and run with the aperture about f5.6 for headshots (normally shooting anywhere from 90-150mm). I have the 56 f1.2 and whilst it's tempting to shoot wide open I get terrible results (my fault - not the lens) and get much better around the f4-5.6 range. My 55-200 won't go down to f4, but 5.6 is perfectly acceptable and delivers stunning results. I control the aperture and the camera will meter and set the ISO and shutter speed accordingly. I can then tweak with exposure comp if required. Fast, quick, and allows me to concentrate on getting the best from my subject rather than faffing with controls.

The X-T2 allows easy manual control for ISO, shutter and aperture, so if your lighting is constant (overcast) you could go full manual and not worry about it. When I've got lights up at home, it's (manual) 1/125, f5.6, ISO 200 and I balance the light accordingly. The only issue with manual is with changeable lighting (sun in and out from behind clouds) which can mean constant twiddling and the occasional over/under exposed shot (which is easily corrected in post if you're so inclined)

There isn't really a "best" mode. It's about which one you're most comfortable with.

If I'm doing portraits (with the X-T2 & 55-200) I tend to go min shutter 1/250 ('cos my hands wobble) & auto ISO up to 12800, and run with the aperture about f5.6 for headshots (normally shooting anywhere from 90-150mm). I have the 56 f1.2 and whilst it's tempting to shoot wide open I get terrible results (my fault - not the lens) and get much better around the f4-5.6 range. My 55-200 won't go down to f4, but 5.6 is perfectly acceptable and delivers stunning results. I control the aperture and the camera will meter and set the ISO and shutter speed accordingly. I can then tweak with exposure comp if required. Fast, quick, and allows me to concentrate on getting the best from my subject rather than faffing with controls.

The X-T2 allows easy manual control for ISO, shutter and aperture, so if your lighting is constant (overcast) you could go full manual and not worry about it. When I've got lights up at home, it's (manual) 1/125, f5.6, ISO 200 and I balance the light accordingly. The only issue with manual is with changeable lighting (sun in and out from behind clouds) which can mean constant twiddling and the occasional over/under exposed shot (which is easily corrected in post if you're so inclined)

Thank you very much for that Ian, I will try those settings you say plus try the auto iso. Once I get some images sorted out I will post and see what you think.

Can’t say how important this ^ is.

The last thing you need to be doing is arsing with your camera or appearing to be struggling with unfamiliar kit/settings.

When shooting portraits, the single most important thing is to create / maintain a relaxed relationship with the subject.

All my cameras are set up as close to the same way as they can be, even for the short while I shot Fuji, I want to be able to just pick it up and use it.

I shoot BBF, Auto ISO, AV with a min SS of 1/250, which means the only 3 variables I need to consider are correct aperture for the shot, what am I focussing on, do I need exp comp.

Can’t say how important this ^ is.

The last thing you need to be doing is arsing with your camera or appearing to be struggling with unfamiliar kit/settings.

When shooting portraits, the single most important thing is to create / maintain a relaxed relationship with the subject.

All my cameras are set up as close to the same way as they can be, even for the short while I shot Fuji, I want to be able to just pick it up and use it.

I shoot BBF, Auto ISO, AV with a min SS of 1/250, which means the only 3 variables I need to consider are correct aperture for the shot, what am I focussing on, do I need exp comp.

Thank you very much Phil, I think I will try it in Aperture mode as then if need be I can use the EC. On both my X-T2 and X-T20 I have set up BBF and really do like it. Thank you again too.

Good luck! Remember. It's 90% psychology. Engage with your subject.

Thank you Ian, we always talk when I see her ( Debbie ) she is a lovely young Spanish girl and she is really looking forward to it, plus I think another two would like me to do a portrait too. I will make sure that we talk too while doing the images.

Make sure you have a think about your location too, not just for backdrops but for lighting. If you’re relying on natural light, have a read up on different effects from different places. If you shoot in direct sunlight you’re going to get hard directional light, which is perfectly fine if that’s what you’re after, but it can be a little uncomfortable for models as they can end up squinting etc. Look for open shade for a softer, more flattering light without the harsh shadows, the shade given by large buildings/trees for example.

Make sure you have a think about your location too, not just for backdrops but for lighting. If you’re relying on natural light, have a read up on different effects from different places. If you shoot in direct sunlight you’re going to get hard directional light, which is perfectly fine if that’s what you’re after, but it can be a little uncomfortable for models as they can end up squinting etc. Look for open shade for a softer, more flattering light without the harsh shadows, the shade given by large buildings/trees for example.

Thank you Andy for taking the time to comment, along with Ian and Phil giving advice I will also take on yours too. The first portrait will be with Debs standing next to the wall as she will be working but I am hoping we can go just on the beach next as she seems to be very keen on letting me do this.

Nice shots Dave, and I looked the the afternoon’s set on Flickr.

I have one observation I hope will help.

You’re using M, but your settings do move about quite a bit, I’m guessing this is you working to centre the meter. The shot of Rosa Rose is underexposed because the meter was fooled by the bright background, which goes back to my advice above ‘do I need exp comp’ which I use in auto whilst you’re trying to get it right in M, chasing settings around instead of reasoning why.

Nice shots Dave, and I looked the the afternoon’s set on Flickr.

I have one observation I hope will help.

You’re using M, but your settings do move about quite a bit, I’m guessing this is you working to centre the meter. The shot of Rosa Rose is underexposed because the meter was fooled by the bright background, which goes back to my advice above ‘do I need exp comp’ which I use in auto whilst you’re trying to get it right in M, chasing settings around instead of reasoning why.

Thank you Phil and yes I did struggle with the images of Rosa, as one minute she was in the sun then the next like the shot you say she was under a big umbrella. Do you think I should start to try shooting in Aperture mode and see how I go as I can use EC then ?

Thank you Phil and yes I did struggle with the images of Rosa, as one minute she was in the sun then the next like the shot you say she was under a big umbrella. Do you think I should start to try shooting in Aperture mode and see how I go as I can use EC then ?
I can’t honestly say I think you should, but it’s what I’d do.

I have seen more posts from people who use M and don’t understand their meter, and most pros use semi auto modes and absolutely understand their metering. It just strikes me as common sense.

Ask yourself why the most prominent control Fuji put on your camera is the exp comp dial ;)

And imho the best thing about EVF’s is the fact you can see those changes in real time before you take the shot.

I can’t honestly say I think you should, but it’s what I’d do.

I have seen more posts from people who use M and don’t understand their meter, and most pros use semi auto modes and absolutely understand their metering. It just strikes me as common sense.

Ask yourself why the most prominent control Fuji put on your camera is the exp comp dial ;)

And imho the best thing about EVF’s is the fact you can see those changes in real time before you take the shot.

Thank you for taking the time to give me this help/advice as I do appreciate it all, I will start giving Aperture mode a go for a while as it will also help me to learn how to use EC to get a good exposure.

Are these the portraits you were talking about Dave? I got the (probably mistaken) impression you were doing something more formal...

Aanyway The images here (and through on Flickr) all give the impression you're "part of the audience". The worst culprit for me is the side-on capture. Compare them to "Pretty Lady" and "The Drummer" on your Flickr which have much more engagement. Your last shot of Sam Brown is also pretty good. Can you get in front, or closer? There's not much going on below the elbow. Next time - how about trying landscape and getting in a bit closer, leaving some room for them to sing into? Just an idea.. Also - try and grab moments. End of the song usually gets a smile when people clap. Watch out for emotion in the music. Grab the facial expressions then. Sarah's got a bit of that going on, but you can't see it from your angle.

Harsh sun is pretty bad for portraits too. People squint (Roxanne), shades go on, and like you said - one minute they're in shadow, the next bright light. These are difficult conditions and the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with settings. The EC dial is right under your thumb and Phil is on the money with... well... everything he said. I do think you did well with the exposures though. Only Rosa is noticeably under.

I am hoping we can go just on the beach next as she seems to be very keen on letting me do this.
I think if you have her attention, do it! But avoid (for example) harsh sunny days where she'll be squinting and you'll have the sun sending your meter all over the show. You'll end up with (I suspect) much better images. Don't get me wrong, I like audience-gig style photos, but I'm not getting much emotion through in these. But it's early days. Keep plugging away. Once you get to know your camera, you can concentrate on getting the picture. I think you're well on the way to nailing exposure (well done for sharp images wide open too!) it's just the creative angle.

Practise practise practise!!!

Edit to add: Have a look at some of Mick Rock's work, or (less famously) Kevin Cummins. Both have some super live gig images as well as "rockstar portraits".

Last edited:
Are these the portraits you were talking about Dave? I got the (probably mistaken) impression you were doing something more formal...

Aanyway The images here (and through on Flickr) all give the impression you're "part of the audience". The worst culprit for me is the side-on capture. Compare them to "Pretty Lady" and "The Drummer" on your Flickr which have much more engagement. Your last shot of Sam Brown is also pretty good. Can you get in front, or closer? There's not much going on below the elbow. Next time - how about trying landscape and getting in a bit closer, leaving some room for them to sing into? Just an idea.. Also - try and grab moments. End of the song usually gets a smile when people clap. Watch out for emotion in the music. Grab the facial expressions then. Sarah's got a bit of that going on, but you can't see it from your angle.

Harsh sun is pretty bad for portraits too. People squint (Roxanne), shades go on, and like you said - one minute they're in shadow, the next bright light. These are difficult conditions and the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with settings. The EC dial is right under your thumb and Phil is on the money with... well... everything he said. I do think you did well with the exposures though. Only Rosa is noticeably under.

I think if you have her attention, do it! But avoid (for example) harsh sunny days where she'll be squinting and you'll have the sun sending your meter all over the show. You'll end up with (I suspect) much better images. Don't get me wrong, I like audience-gig style photos, but I'm not getting much emotion through in these. But it's early days. Keep plugging away. Once you get to know your camera, you can concentrate on getting the picture. I think you're well on the way to nailing exposure (well done for sharp images wide open too!) it's just the creative angle.

Practise practise practise!!!

Edit to add: Have a look at some of Mick Rock's work, or (less famously) Kevin Cummins. Both have some super live gig images as well as "rockstar portraits".

Hi Ian, these are just the photos I normally take of the singers as they like them for their facebook. The portraits with Debs will be more formal, if I have a shot showing the whole of the background with the singers I will put it up and you can see how cluttered it all is.

Good lord. What a mess. You've done really well with your photos. You'd never know!

@Phil V @Harlequin565 Today Debbie let me take her photo and she liked it and has said she will gladly let me take her photo again. I tried the settings you gave in the advice, omg that EC is going to take some getting use too but I will carry on and practice a lot.

Debbie by Dave, on Flickr

(I'm truly not an expert at this...)

There's two styles of portrait I tend to go for. Formal and Environmental. With the former I try & get in close. Head, shoulders and maybe a bit of upper body (but rarely). With the latter, I step back to allow the surroundings to become part of the image. This is kind of a halfway between the two thing.

The Good: You've done well with the exposure. Bright and dark areas all looking good. You've captured a nice happy expression that sends joy out to the viewer. No hair over the face which is fab (luck or design?) It's a great image for a beginner and far superior to the shots above (although I do realise it's a different style)

Next Steps: Think about what you want to express with the photo. Is it about the person? Get closer. Fill your frame with the subject's head/upper body. The 90 is a great focal length for that. Is it environmental? Then use the environment (did you mention a beach?) and declutter your subject. The zippy bag is not adding to the image and neither is the phone (but the bracelet is nice). I keep looking at the phone thinking she's trying to give it to me.

Get slightly higher than your subject (If female. Below if male) so that she looks up. Think about where the sun is. Is she facing it? That will cause squinting which isn't a good look for anyone. Above, her smile is closing her eyes up, and it's the eyes we're drawn to in a portrait. If we can't see them (sunglasses) or they're shut, it has less impact. Try hair up. Try hair down. While she's messing about with the aforementioned hair, take more photos. I find that the X-T2's electronic shutter can be useful in these circumstances because the subject doesn't know when you're taking the photos and you can get much more candid expression. I generally explain it to people though so they know I am actually doing something!

There's a lot to take in with this sort of photography because you're trying to get your camera to do what you want it to and your subject as well. It's a bit trickier than landscapes - but you're off to a great start.

Get Closer.
Good luck!

(I'm truly not an expert at this...)

There's two styles of portrait I tend to go for. Formal and Environmental. With the former I try & get in close. Head, shoulders and maybe a bit of upper body (but rarely). With the latter, I step back to allow the surroundings to become part of the image. This is kind of a halfway between the two thing.

The Good: You've done well with the exposure. Bright and dark areas all looking good. You've captured a nice happy expression that sends joy out to the viewer. No hair over the face which is fab (luck or design?) It's a great image for a beginner and far superior to the shots above (although I do realise it's a different style)

Next Steps: Think about what you want to express with the photo. Is it about the person? Get closer. Fill your frame with the subject's head/upper body. The 90 is a great focal length for that. Is it environmental? Then use the environment (did you mention a beach?) and declutter your subject. The zippy bag is not adding to the image and neither is the phone (but the bracelet is nice). I keep looking at the phone thinking she's trying to give it to me.

Get slightly higher than your subject (If female. Below if male) so that she looks up. Think about where the sun is. Is she facing it? That will cause squinting which isn't a good look for anyone. Above, her smile is closing her eyes up, and it's the eyes we're drawn to in a portrait. If we can't see them (sunglasses) or they're shut, it has less impact. Try hair up. Try hair down. While she's messing about with the aforementioned hair, take more photos. I find that the X-T2's electronic shutter can be useful in these circumstances because the subject doesn't know when you're taking the photos and you can get much more candid expression. I generally explain it to people though so they know I am actually doing something!

There's a lot to take in with this sort of photography because you're trying to get your camera to do what you want it to and your subject as well. It's a bit trickier than landscapes - but you're off to a great start.

Get Closer.
Good luck!

Thank you Ian, it was a couple of quick shots today as she was working and did not want to get told off..lol
It was fun and we do get on well and Debbie is looking forward to the next time. Here was a slightly rushed one, but Debs loved it, I will try just the head and shoulders next time.

Debs by Dave, on Flickr

Thank you Ian, it was a couple of quick shots today as she was working and did not want to get told off..lol
It was fun and we do get on well and Debbie is looking forward to the next time. Here was a slightly rushed one, but Debs loved it, I will try just the head and shoulders next time.

Debs by Dave, on Flickr

Pretty girl but this image looks a bit over sharpened compared to the previous shot.

Back