Portrait backgrounds

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, your recommendations please! I want to be able to take corporate-y headshots in a range of locations.

Rather than rely on finding a neutral wall and suffering background creep with notices, fire extinguishers & the like, I think I need a cheap & cheerful backdrop (not a lot of spare cash at the moment so more budget end than Rolls Royce at the moment).

I've seen some pop up/out ones that simply lean against the wall and the more traditional frame & fabric type. I've used neither so completely open to advice - but lightweight & portable are also considerations!

Cheers - Dunc

If your clients want corporate type headshots with a background take them into the countryside ,backdrops free

Faffing around with curtain, poles, stands etc. and having to either iron them or spend time on PP is right royal PITA as far as I'm concerned. Although a knitted backdrop stretched in a similar way will work, but is again more hassle in my book.

A Manfrotto/Lastolite pop-up is the easiest solution IMO - they have a different colour/pattern on each side. They can be picked up second-hand on the Evil Bay to reduce the cost or you can buy Chinese copies on there too (as well as from Amazon). I have had both types and would most definitely recommend the Lastolite ones over a copy, but if you're on a limited budget . . .

Turn up, pop it up, take a picture - simple. (y) :cool:

I've had one of these for years, and use it regularly...... I remember Garry Edwards recommending it, so went and bought one and wasn't disappointed - way too much faffing around with frame and fabric.....

Lastolite for me, I'd advise against the one with the lights inside (cant remember model) while it's great for a bright white background, they are a PITA to fold back up. The normal ones like the ones suggested by DegHog above are easy enough to fold once you figure it out.

I no longer do corporate headshots, but usually tried to pose the client in an 'office' type situation. Having said that, I always took along a pop-up black/white background for exactly the reasons you state. Cheap as chips - buy one!

1.5 or 2 meter seamless - not the most convenient, but they're fairly easy to travel with, wrinkle-free and take light well. If you go to a white, or near white color (there's one called Grey Tint which is the tiniest hint of grey), you can push it to mid grey with lighting, so it's versatile. Some copper pipe as a crossbar, and two lightweight Nano stands with brackets to hold the pipe.

Back