Portrait course/tips

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a good online course for shooting candid portraits? I tend to shoot motorsport and landscapes but I find my portraits somewhat lacking and often not sharp or blurry. I am looking for a good formula to work out the best shutter speed to use and a free online course would be even better.

Blur is usually caused by missed focus, camera movement or subject movement, or any combination thereof. [[2nd edit to add crappy lenses as another cause]]

To combat this, I tend to use a minimum shutter of 1/250 (to combat movement) and f4-8 depending on my focal lengths (4 on shorter lengths 35-50 on a crop body and 8 on the longer like 135-200) to give me a little more wiggle room on depth of field. Way down at f2 and below I can easily focus on eyebrows and even eye lashes and miss the eye. Natural gloomy light can be an issue, so sometimes I'll drop to 1/125sec but anything slower and my hit rate gets disproportionately lower because of camera/subject movement. Anything lower than 1/125 & f4 and I'll always push ISO. Occasionally I'll have fun at f1.2 - 4 but the amount that gets binned (esp at 1.2) is silly.

The problem is that different people have different steadiness, different versions of image stabilisation (or none at all), different available apertures and different preferences for focal lengths. All of these affect "blurriness" in images unfortunately, so there's no real "one size fits all".

Edit to add: Using strobes massively improves hit rate. Being able to shoot at f11 & 1/250 means I almost never get a blurred shot. Consider artificial help perhaps?

Last edited:
To get pictures free of motion blur and not using flash try this as a starting point:

People walking = 1/250s minimum
People posing = 1/60s minimum
Extremities of dancers jumping = 1/2000s minimum

and

Shutter speed should be a minimum of 1/focal length, but stabilisation will help.

Aperture.. whatever you like. Just be aware that focusing accurately can start to get tricky at f4 on full frame while higher apertures might show diffraction

Focusing - single point, back button C-AF works for me but I get marginally better results with S-AF when wide open.

ISO.. whatever you need.

Using strobes massively improves hit rate. Being able to shoot at f11 & 1/250 means I almost never get a blurred shot.

Works for me too!

Back