portrait first go, good / bad?

P

pixman

This is my first go at portrait photography.

50mm lens for 99% of the shots, and bouncing the 580 flash off the wall. We were in a flat, so couldn't play around with lighting.

Since taking these, I have been told to try and keep the model further away from the wall, so that the light can go around the back also - something I didn't know at the time.

More from the session here: (30 pics...) http://www.flickr.com/photos/cardiffdave/sets/72157611584133581/

ONE
3136270614_bfc7c7ea86.jpg

TWO
3136228382_70e24f9638.jpg

THREE
3136272756_18560660ed.jpg

FOUR
3136262578_6a871fa68d.jpg

FIVE
3136235396_110461b921.jpg

SIX
3135435987_d35e3b137e.jpg

Thanks for looking, and i would really appreciate any comments or criticism!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say THREE and SIX are the best :thumb:

Although it is a nice set

Tony

All look a little red to me. Beautiful model.

No 3 is my favourite, looks unposed and shows the models sense of fun but looks a little soft, may only need a little sharpening though.

Lucky man, I wish I had a beutiful model to photograph!

Don't make excuses! You don't need to - these are great!

Just keep an eye out for disconnected hands.
Getting clean shots in a small space is extremely difficult, spaces around 40ft x 15ft and over are nice for full length stuff. Not many people are lucky enough to have that sort of space spare.

Thank you for the feedback Ed, Tony, Webby and AWP, appreciated.

As for disconnected hands Cyclone, I'll be honest and admit that comment confused me for a bit! But now i assume your referring to photo 2? Or do you mean that the model should have their hands joined together in these kind of poses? Sadly not a studio, but a very small flat!

LukeWoodFord, Thank you for the comment regarding hair. Brilliant tip, had i known this beforehand I would have probably done the same to begin with, and then tried with the hair to the side to see which i prefere. Missed opportunity!

She's a friend of a friend, met her in a cafe before heading back to her apartment. She was really friendly and loved having her photo taken. First time she has done it, but she would be willing to pose any time. I'll try and arrange something with her again, and post on here before hand, maybe one of you would like to come along, free photo opportunity for yourself and I can gain some tips!

Tips like this are a massive help, many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the model away from the wall reduces/eliminates their shadow on the wall. It's not so much getting more light behind them, but removing surfaces where shadows can form.

Generally a nice set of pics there! :)

maybe one of you would like to come along, free photo opportunity for yourself and I can gain some tips!

Tips like this are a massive help, many thanks!

Pity you could not arrange a hall or large room, get her to bring a friend or two and have a proper photoshoot, sort of a South West, South Wales TP meet.

I could bring my studio lighting and backgrounds up!

Hmmm Cardiff, a little over 2 hours away. Must check if my passport is valid and my wellies are clean!

I quite like #4 as it is an unusual angle, and seems to work quite well - good use of depth of field on that one too. Also... it seems to be one of the shots where the white balance looks, errrm... more balanced... :) There does seem to be a red tinge to most of them, did you have auto WB set up or did you configure the WB manually?

What's your kit?

Back