Portrait in ball of ballpoint pen...

Edit My Images
Yes
...Test 3!

Started new thread as these are hopefully going to be going towards the final bit!

Pic below is a mix of the final composition and 'a' reflection of me.

I feel a bit stuck now, I think i need to have it positioned in a better room to get a good background behind my ugly face.

Still only a rough picture, but any C+C or improvements (not to do with pic quality) welcomed.

Untitled-1-5.jpg

Find a bowl, bag of flower, and a kiwi. It massively improves any photos :LOL:

It's an excellent shot, I would love to see more colour project by the ball point though. Not sure how you'd do it, but it might give you some ideas.

Find a bowl, bag of flower, and a kiwi. It massively improves any photos :LOL:

It's an excellent shot, I would love to see more colour project by the ball point though. Not sure how you'd do it, but it might give you some ideas.

yes thats what im thinking, I know how to do it so fingers crossed.

think i made the mistake of placing the pen (on table top) between my double doors, and the flash from the two lights didnt pass into the room behind me much, hence it quite dark

but im happy with the rest of the pic colour, as I want most of the focus in the ball, then to say, 'oh, its a ball point pen lol'

capturing a flour bomb in it though! now that IS an idea!!

just done a new flour bomb but i cant post till next month :-( ...... but even I am happy with it lol

Last edited:
yes thats what im thinking, I know how to do it so fingers crossed.

think i made the mistake of placing the pen (on table top) between my double doors, and the flash from the two lights didnt pass into the room behind me much, hence it quite dark

but im happy with the rest of the pic colour, as I want most of the focus in the ball, then to say, 'oh, its a ball point pen lol'

capturing a flour bomb in it though! now that IS an idea!!

just done a new flour bomb but i cant post till next month :-( ...... but even I am happy with it lol

Argh! Don't tease me like this with promised photos of flour bombs! (And I just noticed I spelt the plant variety as opposed to the powder!)

Thats a really interesting shot,
Never seen anything like that before.
Looking at it again, cant offer any advice on improvement im afraid,
You will get there though, will be worth it (y)

Thats a really interesting shot,
Never seen anything like that before.
Looking at it again, cant offer any advice on improvement im afraid,
You will get there though, will be worth it (y)

Im really wanting this to work and turn into a more 'professional' composition / shot. from the stage it is at now, I just hope my next ideas overcome the problems I see

fingers crossed!

Good luck in achieving the end result you have planned.
Il be sure to check back and see the improvement.
Good luck :)

How about some writing on the paper?

How about some writing on the paper?

paper? you the the bit on the left? that was actually a black t shirt dont know what went wrong there! lol

Although if im thinking what I think you mean it could look ok, I will do some test.

I dont want things to be too 'fussy' to take the main point away

cheers for the idea :)

I do a similar thing with pet portraits, easy sale, except for the ones that freak out!

That's quite cool, might try on my pup if he ever sits still lol

Still only a rough picture, but any C+C or improvements (not to do with pic quality) welcomed.

:eek: Remove the face!! Remove the face!! :runaway:

:D

I think you're right, a different background, perhaps something with a bit of colour in it.

:eek: Remove the face!! Remove the face!! :runaway:

:D

I think you're right, a different background, perhaps something with a bit of colour in it.

yes, unfortunately my house is a lil plain lol

so off to the parents with a nice colourful room, which is smaller which will help put more into the ball, if that makes sense lol

hmm...I could replace it with :) ?

Just a thought but maybe a reflector or some white paper underneath to try to get some more light on the bottom of the ball :shrug: All in all matey it's awesome job regardless (y)

BTW what lens are you using?

Just a thought but maybe a reflector or some white paper underneath to try to get some more light on the bottom of the ball :shrug: All in all matey it's awesome job regardless (y)

BTW what lens are you using?

That was caused because I set the lighting up wrong, it was in shodow cast by the table lol I have a work around butthanks for the tip :)

it's took with 60mm canon macro with full set of kenko tubes

Even better, print some text out on plain paper, use it to bounce some light off and see if you can get the text reflected on the ball point. Text will be back to front so you can either flip the image or print it out back to front... Here's an example I did with water drops:

4086978064_a2fa241a80.jpg

Bigger

Even better, print some text out on plain paper, use it to bounce some light off and see if you can get the text reflected on the ball point. Text will be back to front so you can either flip the image or print it out back to front... Here's an example I did with water drops:

4086978064_a2fa241a80.jpg

Bigger

this isnt going to be an easy image now is it lol

my other idea is to print of a picture of the world, and capture it in the full ball point....maybe a few pens together and a little solar system going lol

You could buy one of those drinks globes that are so out of fashion now or maybe use Ash's bubble universe. There is a Photoshop plugin that you can use a reflection map of an image to paste over a photo. I will have a go but I realise you want to do this all for real. If it works will post it later.

You could buy one of those drinks globes that are so out of fashion now or maybe use Ash's bubble universe. There is a Photoshop plugin that you can use a reflection map of an image to paste over a photo. I will have a go but I realise you want to do this all for real. If it works will post it later.

ahhh...I would have no idea how to do it lol

and yea would rather do it for real :) im not one for too much tinkering with PP, it would take away all the effect for my image lol

Like this :shrug:

r90mrr.jpg

214cgfr.jpg

You have a mammoth task ahead of you is my guess. It's what Sundays are for though I guess.

Good luck mate (y)

Can remove this if you want me to :)

Last edited:
That looks class.....hmmm makes me feel like mine is going to be hard work for not such a good effect as that now :-(

do I continue or cheat? Lol

EDIT: looking closer I think doing it properly will look better as you can tell it hasnt been PP :)

Last edited:
Back