Critique Portrait is new to me.

TKD

Name
Teri
Taking a photography class. Followed this little guy around and he was a wonderful subject. As long as I promised candy I had his attention.
Any critique is welcome.
Nikon D7000 F/7.1 1/250 sec 2pm November 2013 Iowa first shot
Nikon D7000 F/6.3 1/100 sec 3pm November 2013 Iowa second shot

View attachment 529 View attachment 530

I hope that the class went well :)
You were so lucky to have such a photogenic model!

Two lovely natural looking portraits and very pleasing warm light in both of them.

I like the DoF in the first - very nice separation from the wall while still keeping enough of the texture.
It's not quite as sharp on the eyes as I would like to see though and I think it could do with just a tiny bit more contrast to make it stand out.

The second is definitely my favourite of the two.
Amazing expression on his face and the idea of having him lie in the leaves has worked out very well.
The Autumn leaves have given you a lovely backdrop and the composition with his head pointing diagonally to the top corner balances it out well.

The second is a really fun one, crying shame about that one green leaf :bang: it's just a little but of a distraction against the rest of the autumnal colours :LOL: the first, not sure why it's just not really doing too much for me...suspect it's the stone work its neither adding or subtracting particularly but it's just not supporting the image...

I hope that the class went well :)
You were so lucky to have such a photogenic model!

Two lovely natural looking portraits and very pleasing warm light in both of them.

I like the DoF in the first - very nice separation from the wall while still keeping enough of the texture.
It's not quite as sharp on the eyes as I would like to see though and I think it could do with just a tiny bit more contrast to make it stand out.

The second is definitely my favourite of the two.
Amazing expression on his face and the idea of having him lie in the leaves has worked out very well.
The Autumn leaves have given you a lovely backdrop and the composition with his head pointing diagonally to the top corner balances it out well.
Thank you SaraLee! Really appreciate you commenting. My first real attempt and he was so good to let me try several times. I do see what you mean about the eyes not being sharp, good point. Contrast I can add. And, of course, I meant for his head to be pointed that way. Totally, planned. ;)

The second is a really fun one, crying shame about that one green leaf :bang: it's just a little but of a distraction against the rest of the autumnal colours :LOL: the first, not sure why it's just not really doing too much for me...suspect it's the stone work its neither adding or subtracting particularly but it's just not supporting the image...
Really appreciate the comments! Green leaf, gone! I can kill that! Thank you for stopping and helping!

Cant add much to whats been said but thought I would let you know I called by viewed and enjoyed your images very much.

Gaz

Thank you Gaz! Appreciate your time and critique!

First one is ever so slightly out of focus. If you look closely you'll see the focus is around his collar. Keep your focus point on the nearest eye and don't be afraid to close your aperture a little - this helps to retain focus and sharpness across the field. Otherwise a nice set of image - looks like a very happy little tyke!

First one is ever so slightly out of focus. If you look closely you'll see the focus is around his collar. Keep your focus point on the nearest eye and don't be afraid to close your aperture a little - this helps to retain focus and sharpness across the field. Otherwise a nice set of image - looks like a very happy little tyke!

Thank you Eddzz! I see that now. Greatly appreciate the help!

Back