Portrait lens for Canon 350D?

Edit My Images
No
Hiya!

I am looking for advice on a suitable lens for a Canon 350D for studio portraiture.

I bought a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro as it was described as an "ideal" portraiture lens, but it is just too close-up. You can just about fit one face in the frame from a distance of about 6 feet, so anything other than very close head shots of one person is no good.

Budget is not too hot so any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

S

Have a look at the 50mm f1.8 (the nifty fifty). It's only about £60 and sharp as can be. Some say almost too sharp but it's a great lens for portraits, esp if you're on a tight budget.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 MkII, or as its commonly known as 'The Nifty Fifty'.

Quite alot of Canon owners have one, and on the 350D, it works out an effective focal length of 80mm, which is considered ideal for portrature (as opposed to the Sigma's effective focal length of 112mm-480mm).

It can be had for around £80 from high street shops, £70 from ebay, or about £60-£65 from someone like Kerso on these very forums :)

Click here for a review of this lens by TP member Jonny :)

Another possible option that I am looking at is the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DF

I just got my nifty this morning (another order from Kerso!) and looks a lil' cracker! cant wait to use it!!! :D

I just got my nifty this morning (another order from Kerso!) and looks a lil' cracker! cant wait to use it!!! :D

Ordered my nifty fifty from Kerso yesterday :)

Mike

When you first get the Nifty Fifty, you feel very much "Is that it". Then you use it and think OMG, what a lens.

It is as sharp as can be. Great lens and can produce wonderful results. Price is fantastic too.

When you first get the Nifty Fifty, you feel very much "Is that it". Then you use it and think OMG, what a lens.

It is as sharp as can be. Great lens and can produce wonderful results. Price is fantastic too.

:agree:

It feels like it's made by Fisher Price not Canon :LOL: but wow is it sharp :love:

Your absolutley right :) i was like "huh!?" hehe, now its stuck on the camera and the 17-40L is growling at me :help:

Rico.

:agree:

It feels like it's made by Fisher Price not Canon :LOL: but wow is it sharp :love:

Totally agree. There is no better value for money anywhere..(y)

Yep, another vote for the nifty. It's put togeher like a Taiwanese plastic turd from the mid eighties, but it's dead sharp and that f1.8 is very useful.(y)

I'm late posting, but another vote for the 50. Great lens and fantastic value for money. :)

Yep - count me in - just got the 50mm 1.8 from your friend and mine Kerso - great value and a great lens...

My other half used my nifty for the first time yesterday and loved it - kept saying "everything's really clear!" - well compared to the ageing sigmas I've lent him with the D30 it probably is - them's full of dust! :LOL:

Seriously though - yet ANOTHER vote for it - cracking lens!

Back