Portrait lens

I think your 100 macro will be a bit too long indoors, especially when the little blighter starts moving, it may be difficult to keep them in the frame to take the shot but will probably be just fine for now and a few months into the future, but assuming walking at one, you haven't got ages to sort something else out. :)

In the old film days portrait lens were generally 85 to 135 focal length, maybe even 200, room size dependant of course, effectively that's the equiv of FF in terms of angle of view, on a crop you might want to consider 50 to 135mm focal length (I wouldn't generally use a zoom though).
You will need a fast aperture to allow a reasonable shutter speed but the 7D2 is pretty good at reasonable Iso, you don't need to go FF.
Another option would be a 35mm, beware of getting too close and causing distortion of features but it's a good length for getting surroundings into the scene too as it's the same field of view on a crop as a 50 on a FF (as I am sure you know).

Practicing how to keep the child in the frame is probably going to be your best asset.

50mm on a Canon crop is roughly the equivalent of an 80mm on a full frame.
Personally I prefer something a little longer 85mm or 105mm gives you a bit more stand off distance as well.
Yongnuo make an 85mm whch I've seen for around the £120 mark, I've not tried one but their 50mm which I have tried was very good. Sigma do a cracking 105mm macro around £330, or Tamrons excelent 90mm which I've seen for under £300.
I've had a 50mm on crop and full frame and like it on both.
I do have the Tamron 90mm which is a macro and *only* f2.8. The downside of using a macro is that it's not a fast to focus as a standard portrait lens and also f2.8 doesn't give as much background separation/blur or bokeh as an f1.8.
I've used the Canon 85mm f1.8 on full frame and found it to be great for portraits, blur and for sheer speed of autofocus. Considering that a used Canon 85mm f1.8 can be bought for £200 or less, I'd go for that if on full frame.

I've had a 50mm on crop and full frame and like it on both.
I do have the Tamron 90mm which is a macro and *only* f2.8. The downside of using a macro is that it's not a fast to focus as a standard portrait lens and also f2.8 doesn't give as much background separation/blur or bokeh as an f1.8.
I've used the Canon 85mm f1.8 on full frame and found it to be great for portraits, blur and for sheer speed of autofocus. Considering that a used Canon 85mm f1.8 can be bought for £200 or less, I'd go for that if on full frame.
The 85mm is a great lens, the advantage of the 105mm, or 90mm is you get a macro as well, I haven't noticed that big a difference in bokeh. That said I don't actually use the 85mm much these days, modern zooms are so good, and I tend to go with a longer focal length anyway, probably closer to 150/200mm if I had to guess.

Hi everyone what canon Lens would you recommend for me I want to Do a record my New grand daughter growing up ?

I know the title the OP used was "Portrait lens" - but the above sounds less to me like formal-ish 'portraits' and more like 'How do I shoot a kid growing up' - which to me sounds like, all the time, at play, reading (when she does) on her obvious iPad from 6 months, walking, laughing, playing etc.

So I'd go with a 35mm f1.8 or faster, which on a Canon crop (errr no idea what ratio) is probably a 20-24mm ish ???

ALL of the previous advice seems to be answering the title, whereas I think the title isn't the true story, the OP appears to me to wish to be recording the life - the growing up - bit suggests that to me :)

Oh and @cruso if I'm wrong and you really do mean a 'Portrait lens' - go with the above and defo get an 85mm at least :D

Dave

I know the title the OP used was "Portrait lens" - but the above sounds less to me like formal-ish 'portraits' and more like 'How do I shoot a kid growing up' - which to me sounds like, all the time, at play, reading (when she does) on her obvious iPad from 6 months, walking, laughing, playing etc.

So I'd go with a 35mm f1.8 or faster, which on a Canon crop (errr no idea what ratio) is probably a 20-24mm ish ???

ALL of the previous advice seems to be answering the title, whereas I think the title isn't the true story, the OP appears to me to wish to be recording the life - the growing up - bit suggests that to me :)

Oh and @cruso if I'm wrong and you really do mean a 'Portrait lens' - go with the above and defo get an 85mm at least :D

Dave
Canons crop is x1.6 so roughly 22mm if my ropey maths are right. So your right on the money with 20-24mm.

Canons crop is x1.6 so roughly 22mm if my ropey maths are right. So your right on the money with 20-24mm.
Canon do a 22mm for the M series with the same 1.6 crop. ;)

That said... I've photographed my granddaughter over her first year and the vast majority of the shots are 85mm on crop - a few 50mm and some 135 as she reached one.
IvyNewborn.jpg

Ivy 2.JPG

My favourite focal length for shooting babies is 50mm on full frame:

Owen
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Since swapping from Canon full frame to a Fuji with a cropped sensor and a 35mm equivalent lens, I'm finding it a bit too wide - although it is great for the now three year old!

Full frame definitely isn't necessary - I would suggest a 35mm ish prime for the OP, especially as he already has the 100mm - an 85mm would be too close.

Back