Portrait lenses.

Edit My Images
No
Do any of you guys shoot portraits with a macro lens and if so, what benefits do you get from it. I'm looking to purchase a new lens for portraits and there are so many out there, I'm not sure what to go for. I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 and only have one lens, the 35mm 1.8. This is a great little lens but on close up prints I can see myself in the subjects eyes. Should I get myself a 50-200, for example, stick to primes or look at a macro options. Confused!
Thanks

I don't think it will really matter for portrait stuff, macro might be slower to focus but if its studio work, then its maybe not a big deal. Primes are lovely and sharp, but again in a well lit studio you dont really need to shoot wide open so lesser primes and zooms will be quite sharp too between f5-f8. I would suggest trying out a 50mm and 85mm and see how they feel, then try out a couple of zooms. 200mm will be very long indoors unless you will have a big studio or want some very tight headshots!

I posted a similar thread recently and seemed to get a number of replies regarding both the 24-70mm and then also the 28-135mm lens for use in studio portraits. Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but I've done some research on both and they get very good write-ups for studio work. Just an idea :)

Thanks for the replies.. As I'm not gonna be doing macro specifically, then ill scratch them off my list. I'll take a look at those suggested lenses. Thanks again. Cal

I used to have the 180 L macro and it certainly doubled up as a useful short tele lens for non macro stuff. The only thing I'd say is that the bokeh wasn't particularly pleasing, so I think you'd be better advised buying the lens based on it's main intended use.

Ideally you will be standing some good 2-3m away from the model and will need the lenses to match the distance. Primes are much better, unless you get 70-200mm which is also excellent.

Back