Beginner Portrait of 1 year old, and 2 month old - Advice? Tips?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Hi there. I'd like to get some nice shots of our young children but it's tricky to get them both at the same time.

The 2 month old oviously can't sit up unaided, and the 1 year old isn't interested in sitting still much at all.

We've got a nice bedroom with decent natural light, and big white bed that should serve as a decent backdrop.

Has anyone got any ideas/tips/advice on how to get some good shots?

Thanks a lot.

Difficult ages but I'd try and get the older one to interact with the younger one eg hold their hand or foot etc and then try and capture the interaction. I've got some good close ups of a little hand on an even smaller foot before using a macro lens.

Or a portrait of one, with the other one blurred in the background.

If you want them both looking in the same direction then someone else behind the camera doing something silly/fun will help.

Hi Sam, Sometimes your best to capture candid shots of the kids. Set the scene let them play and just be patient. Children can become miserable quick when you keep trying to put the in poses. I know mine do….
other than that as dan said sit them and get someone to get their attention from behind you. Try to get it done quickly though as it gets harder the longer it goes on. Make sure they are fed and watered and happy and go from there. Good Luck Mate.

I think natural shots would be the best rather then trying to get the children to pose. Leave them to play and snap away, you will get some wonderful natural shots, this is what worked with my daughter and her cousin. Good luck.

Definitely try to get them to just act natural. Make sure you have a clean background and just let them play as normal. Try to get them to forget you are there and take as many shots as you can. It can just take that one shot to capture a wonderful expression.

I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and still struggle to get them to keep still!

Another alternative, to someone acting the eejit behind the camera :D, is to mount your phone on the camera hotshot and play a video of something that they find funny or entertaining. As already stated, don't think that you can wait for the perfect moment, just keep snapping and hopefully you'll get a gem out of all the images you take.

I have been taking lots of shots of my new born who is now 2 months. Probably my fave one was a candid grab shot but I set this up yesterday it's just half way through dressing him in his changing mat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 18
Back