Portrait or landscape ?

Edit My Images
No
Would appreciate peoples preference for the 2 images, a small comment on the reason would be appreciated too

thanks

simon

pen-yr-olwen-cwm-idwal-landscape-snowdonia.jpg

pen-yr-olwen-cwm-idwal-snowdonia.jpg

I prefer the lanscape shot - the path and water lead the eye nicely to the mountain. In the portrait one, I feel the mountain has been chopped off and it feels incomplete when the eyes get there. I also feel there isnt as much perspective in a portrait shot.

I prefer the lanscape shot - the path and water lead the eye nicely to the mountain. In the portrait one, I feel the mountain has been chopped off and it feels incomplete when the eyes get there. I also feel there isnt as much perspective in a portrait shot.

:agree:

hmmm.... i prefer the portrait on this one. :) i guess its just personal preference as everyone else seems to prefer the landscape. i think the 2nd has more impact. i think the curve of the path is more defined has a stronger lead in than the 1st one. i like the tree inthe forground and thnk it is a little lost in the landscape version. imho

Landscape for me Simon.

I only really like portrait scenics when there's something good in the f/g that needs to be LARGE!

Landscape for me for the reasons outlined by the pro ladscape lobby (y)

Landscape all round.

It just shows the beauty of the place better.

Last edited:
Landscape for me - i like the two paths, one on either side that lead you in.

The Portrait one seems a bit quarters - sky, mountain, lake and foreground and to my eye doesn't work as well.

Like the portrait for all the reasons fbox gave. It had more of an impact on me when I first saw them both (y)

landscape for me, the portrait looks slightly too tightly cropped.
prefer to see the hills off to the side, lovely shots though.

prefer the processing on the water in the portrait one though

I really like both but i slightly prefer the landscape the landscape as it is more eecatching and the eye is drawn towards the mountain :D good work!

Landscape (y)

I feel that in the landscape shot the mountains on the left and right draw the eye nicely down to the valley, then out to the mountain in the distance. This just doesn't happen in the portrait imho :)

Thanks for the feedback, very useful.

The reason I asked is that I'm struggling to decide myself, the landscape shot represents more what I actually saw "by eye" and certainly shows more of the scenery but the portrait version does seem a more powerful shot

simon

Back