Portrait time....

Edit My Images
No
While I was doing a shoot for someone, I grabbed the chance to get a couple of portraits of my kids to pop onto canvas for the mother in law for xmas.

Thought I'd share... C & C welcome as always...

Keelanarmsframed.jpg

Kailasmileframed.jpg

Kelancuteframed.jpg

I think the lighting is harsh which makes the skin look blotchy.

Nice compositions though.

:agree: Especially in the last one.

I think there is too much white space above his head in the first as well.

lovely kids.

i think your white balance is off slightly, the background doesnt quite look white. and the eyes could do with a little brightening to bring out the brown(i think hacker did a tutorial, "how to make eyes pop") some nice poses and im sure grandma will love em(y)

I think the lighting is harsh which makes the skin look blotchy.

Nice compositions though.

:agree: Especially in the last one.

I think there is too much white space above his head in the first as well.

Great, excellent observation, thanks for that chaps (and Betty :)). Care to offer any advice on why the light may be too harsh? Flashes too close to the subject? Too much ambient light? Flashes in the wrong position? (main flash 45 right set at 1/4 power with softbox, second flash 60 left at 1/8 thru white umbrella, and 2x 430EX's hitting the backdrop from either side. the 2 main flashes were about 2-3 meters from the subject as I don't have alot of room to play with)

lovely kids.

i think your white balance is off slightly, the background doesnt quite look white. and the eyes could do with a little brightening to bring out the brown(i think hacker did a tutorial, "how to make eyes pop") some nice poses and im sure grandma will love em(y)

Cheers Fletch... Stupidly I neglected the WB and left it on auto (never really hits with studio flashes on auto) but tried to adjust in LR and I guess I got it wrong. It looks good to me on the first shot, but a little off on the other 2. Will remember to take a WB set shot for custom first next shoot.

I did a little work on the eyes, but didn't want to mess too much. I've seen Hacker's tut and but usually only dodge blue or green eyes. Brown eyes should look brown imo, not mustard. (y)

Last edited:
I am guilty of doing this before, but the catchlights are very square, so the flash is probably too close :)

I am guilty of doing this before, but the catchlights are very square, so the flash is probably too close :)

Good point Betty... I'll have to get the sledge hammer out and bash down a couple of walls :D

Maybe time to rethink the lighting positions... hmmm...

Back