Portraits for critique please.

Edit My Images
Yes
I am relatively new to all of this and I am practising with friends and family and a couple of sheets.
I have a canon 3050d with an 18mm-55mm lens. All of these portraits were shot in natural light with editing done in photoshop.
Please be honest and let me know what you think and how I could possibly improve.

_MG_0985 by staceyc1977, on Flickr

IMG_1160 by staceyc1977, on Flickr

Lake Lane Photography by staceyc1977, on Flickr

Hi Stacey, and welcome :)

#1. It's a nice pose and I can see what you were trying to achieve. I'm not looking at this on my calibrated monitor, but it looks rather pink to me. I also think a landscape orientation would work better, to get more of the environment she is sat in. Maybe also step back some more. A little tight on the crop.

#2. Doesn't really work for me. It's a little flat and the composition would work better if there was a gap between the heads.

#3. This is actually ok

#4. The pick of the set. Great colours, great exposure, good processing and a nicely composed image. Maybe a little less vignette could improve it and perhaps a slightly tighter crop

#5. This hasn't worked. You say all were natural light, but it looks like the shadow is from flash, which is distracting as is the extremely heavy vignette. I'm not sure the door works either.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you on what you are saying and now that I have had that mentioned to me I can see the same things.

#1 I think the slight pink tinge may have been from where I warmed up the colours post editing. It doesn't look too bad on my screen but I haven't printed it out as yet. It may look different again.

#2 I was trying to get the idea of a teenage brother and sister being close without it looking like they are a couple. This was really the best I could come up with. Yes I agree with more gap between the heads to get a bit of landscape into the shot. What pose would you suggest for this kind of shoot?

#3 Thanks for the comment there.

#4 Thanks for the compliments. I am rather proud of that one.

#4 I cant remember using a flash on that one but I might have done. I had seen the same pose done elsewhere and liked it then. Maybe I have gone a bit ott on the post processing. I do have a habit of not knowing when to stop.

Another thumbsup for #4 although I would have liked to see a little less of his legs and a little more of hers. Just a foot to the right maybe?

Another thumbsup for #4 although I would have liked to see a little less of his legs and a little more of hers. Just a foot to the right maybe?

Ha ha is that in the honest opinion of a photographic artist or the opinion of a red bloodied male?? ;) :LOL:

No 4 is my fav. Nice processing.

Agree that in No 5 there is a bit too much vignetting (I'm a fan of vignetting, but still find it trial and error how much to apply. It should draw your eye to the subject, if its too strong though your eye can be drawn to the darkened corners. If the background is very simple and quite light, as this is, then you usually just need a little bit of vignette.)

A wee tip for getting feedback - if you number your photos as you post them, it makes it easier for people to comment on particular images.

Look forward to seeing more. :)

Back