Portraits in London

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
So for my idea in my next project, I am planning to walk the streets of London, asking people to pull the stupidest/ craziest face they can to represent the people in London, as such and the way they are usually represented.

Any ideas to where this project could lead/ any tips on how to approach it?

I am looking at Bruce Gilden's portraiture and it is the kind of route I am looking at so far.

So for my idea in my next project, I am planning to walk the streets of London, asking people to pull the stupidest/ craziest face they can to represent the people in London, as such and the way they are usually represented.

Any ideas to where this project could lead/ any tips on how to approach it?

I am looking at Bruce Gilden's portraiture and it is the kind of route I am looking at so far.

I'm intrigued as to what your previous projects were Jamie as you mention this as your next project?
Have you shot strangers before?

My tips for this is be honest and open when approaching people. You will have to build such a rapport with the person, so much so that they will let their guard down enough to pull a face.

I feel any hint of ridicule and people will be reluctant to pose.
When shooting my strangers project, I give the person a card with all my contact details so as they can go and look, should they wish.

You could start with conventional portraits first then once the person is comfortable ask them to pull a face.
Many people have told me that they don't like having their photograph taken but I have managed to convince them to pose.
Be prepared for quite a few to decline. Don't take it personally, thank them for their time and move on. Good luck, I am interested in seeing how this develops.

I'm intrigued as to what your previous projects were Jamie as you mention this as your next project?
Have you shot strangers before?

My tips for this is be honest and open when approaching people. You will have to build such a rapport with the person, so much so that they will let their guard down enough to pull a face.

I feel any hint of ridicule and people will be reluctant to pose.
When shooting my strangers project, I give the person a card with all my contact details so as they can go and look, should they wish.

You could start with conventional portraits first then once the person is comfortable ask them to pull a face.
Many people have told me that they don't like having their photograph taken but I have managed to convince them to pose.
Be prepared for quite a few to decline. Don't take it personally, thank them for their time and move on. Good luck, I am interested in seeing how this develops.
Hi, I have shot many people before but nothing quite like this. I generally shoot portraits and ask my subject to look me in the eye (Camera).. I'm expecting a lot of people to decline, but I would be happy with 20 portraits to go on in one day. Here are a couple of portraits I have recently shot.. is there anything you would do differently? I am planning on using 1 hand held flash gun I think.

Attachments

• Final 10  copy.jpg
    Final 10 copy.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Street performer 2.jpg
    Street performer 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 45
It will be interesting to see how this works. In my experience people are shy enough to have their photo taken, but will pose in there own comfort zone. The ones that go a bit silly have been mainly (for me) during Movember and slightly intoxicated. I don't tend to use flash when I've done street projects, never actually asked anyone, just assumed it will put more off...My last street project as such was to photograph 400 unique men, strangers to me, but with a moustache :)

Business cards with a link to your website are a godsend and give some level of immediate credibility. Get a page up explaining the project and any examples so far, maybe another with a link to the previous projects. People have instant access these days on their phones, perhaps a qrcode to quickly link?

Hi, I have shot many people before but nothing quite like this. I generally shoot portraits and ask my subject to look me in the eye (Camera).. I'm expecting a lot of people to decline, but I would be happy with 20 portraits to go on in one day. Here are a couple of portraits I have recently shot.. is there anything you would do differently? I am planning on using 1 hand held flash gun I think.

My first reaction to your post quoted was 20 portraits? That's a helluva lot!
I think to target that amount of people in a day would require (and I'm guessing here) asking maybe 40-50 to take account of those who decline.
If you could choose an area where people are enjoying themselves, say Covent Garden with the street entertainers/bars/restaurants then people may be more inclined to pull a face.

I've never used flash in my street portraits, I use a reflector but I could see flash working in this instance. It has more immediacy to it, and pardon the expression but a less 'considered' approach when compared to using a reflector. What I mean by that is if you could catch the person off guard. Get them to make the face, flash, take the shot before they've a chance to think "what am I doing?" They may be a little less self conscious than having you position a reflector, pose, then shoot.

I like your portraits above, perhaps a little more illumination on their faces but some great eye contact going on.

How did you feel when asking these subjects?
Did you find it easy interacting and engaging with them?

Good luck with your project Jamie.

It will be interesting to see how this works. In my experience people are shy enough to have their photo taken, but will pose in there own comfort zone. The ones that go a bit silly have been mainly (for me) during Movember and slightly intoxicated. I don't tend to use flash when I've done street projects, never actually asked anyone, just assumed it will put more off...My last street project as such was to photograph 400 unique men, strangers to me, but with a moustache :)
Would be interesting to see your 400 unique men project! Do you have a link?

My first reaction to your post quoted was 20 portraits? That's a helluva lot!
I think to target that amount of people in a day would require (and I'm guessing here) asking maybe 40-50 to take account of those who decline.
If you could choose an area where people are enjoying themselves, say Covent Garden with the street entertainers/bars/restaurants then people may be more inclined to pull a face.

I've never used flash in my street portraits, I use a reflector but I could see flash working in this instance. It has more immediacy to it, and pardon the expression but a less 'considered' approach when compared to using a reflector. What I mean by that is if you could catch the person off guard. Get them to make the face, flash, take the shot before they've a chance to think "what am I doing?" They may be a little less self conscious than having you position a reflector, pose, then shoot.

I like your portraits above, perhaps a little more illumination on their faces but some great eye contact going on.

How did you feel when asking these subjects?
Did you find it easy interacting and engaging with them?

Good luck with your project Jamie.
20 portraits is a lot but i'll be there all day and won't be disappointed if i com up short! I will see how flash works, but it is making people not want to be photographed then I will ditch the idea. I could also try a reflector. But some good ideas to take into account, thank you! I'm generally quite confident in talking to people.. I'm from Sheffield where everybody is 'friendly'. I suppose i found it easy, yes but these were the right people to approach.. I'd feel much more nervous if it was a 6ft 5, stocky man with a tattoo on his forehead for example

Would be interesting to see your 400 unique men project! Do you have a link?
Don't have it online anymore unfortunately, bar a few of the photos. I'll see if I can find them.

It wasn't a technical challenge. The primary objective was to raise funds for Movember. I got sponsored at least a pound per photo, and then got companies to double it.

The secondary objective was to photograph something different. I was naturally more attracted to women in the street. So going up to a man, and say that he has a wonderful moustache and can I photograph it was an interesting exercise ;)

Don't have it online anymore unfortunately, bar a few of the photos. I'll see if I can find them.

It wasn't a technical challenge. The primary objective was to raise funds for Movember. I got sponsored at least a pound per photo, and then got companies to double it.

The secondary objective was to photograph something different. I was naturally more attracted to women in the street. So going up to a man, and say that he has a wonderful moustache and can I photograph it was an interesting exercise ;)
More attracted to women seems about right haha! Yeah that sounds like an awesome project!

Indeed, it was a good angle, made it easy (easier?!) to interact. I'm ready to find a new purpose/angle to do something different and push myself in a different way. Still prefer the streets over anything else as I find people fascination. Good luck with your project!!

Indeed, it was a good angle, made it easy (easier?!) to interact. I'm ready to find a new purpose/angle to do something different and push myself in a different way. Still prefer the streets over anything else as I find people fascination. Good luck with your project!!
I completely agree with you! Landscapes are hard to make interesting! People are always interesting! good luck with yours too

I've recently started something faintly similar. I'd encourage you to really nail your core portraiture skills before making life difficult for yourself. Make sure you're consistently getting exposure, white balance and focusing right and can direct a pose while chatting to someone who is moving around. Save provoking an extreme reaction for later. If you're convinced that you want to start with funny faces then I'd do as @blakester suggests - spend 5 minutes (minimum) creating a conventional portrait first and save the face pulling for the end.

ISTR reading that Bruce Gilden in his more recent work spent quite some time with each subject before creating his gritty warts-and-all portraits. His street work is rather different of course.

Back