B&W Portraits With A Twist....

Inventive & creative. More than just photography.

Great work.

Inventive & creative. More than just photography.

Great work.

Thanks Ian, there's always, let's say a reluctance in me with this type of image to post it in a critique section.
Like some of my default subjects for still life, it's less about photography more about the idea behind it.

Top work and very original (to me anyway). Must have taken some thinking about, and I suspect you've a few diagrams/scribbles from the start of the creative process? Did you make the blocks too, as that would be 'start to finish' creativity? What's next in the pipeline?

Top work and very original (to me anyway). Must have taken some thinking about, and I suspect you've a few diagrams/scribbles from the start of the creative process? Did you make the blocks too, as that would be 'start to finish' creativity? What's next in the pipeline?

Thanks Ian, yes, it did take a bit of thinking about and working out.
No drawings or sketches though, it was a little more organic than that. I just had to see how the light fell across the wooden blocks which I had bought off Amazon.

Not sure whats next to be honest. I feel there are a few more shots from the light and blocks.

Love the idea - hats off to your creativity :)

Hi Lain , What type of lighting are you using on this. I would like to try this. Brilliant idea.. I have never seen this before and its great ..

Hi Lain , What type of lighting are you using on this. I would like to try this. Brilliant idea.. I have never seen this before and its great ..

Thanks Darren (y)

I used an led work light, this one from B&Q http://www.diy.com/departments/xq-lite-led-rechargeable-work-light-5w-xq1279s/284955_BQ.prd

An adjustable desk lamp or similar may do the trick as well if you are giving it a go. Save spending out £25 initially.
A few points that I noted from using the light linked to above. By its very nature,it tends to spread the light quite wide. I needed to have the light very close to the blocks in order to get strong shadows. I feel a spotlight of some kind would be ultimately 'better' in respect that it'd be more defined. That way I would have positioned it further back to enable longer shadows and perhaps even more of the 'person' ie lower body/legs.

I positioned the blocks on A1 white board so the figures are not far off life size. I would obviously need bigger background if I were to attempt a whole person shot.
Give it a go, I'd be interested to see your results and your take on the effect.

Cheers!

Back