Portraits??

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently come across some really beautiful pictures of people, close up, that show all the flaws in there skin. Freckles, wrinkles, lines, cracks, the lot. The pictures are very light and the background is very blurred. They were really striking and I want to take a few myself.
I have played around with my Nikon D40 and so far have not even come close to getting anything similar.
If anyone could give me some help, especially if they know what to do on the particular camera, it would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post the exmples? To get the subject in focus and a blurred background, it sounds like they were taken with a fast lens (large aperture), something like a 50mm F1.4.

It could of course be good processing work.

You will want quite a fast aperture and either being quite close or shooting with a telephoto lens.

Something like a 50 f1.8 about 2-3m from the subject will get you a nice really narrow depth of field.

n510134346_389320_9286.jpg

Its this type of thing

I'd go with the fast lens answer. Best bet: (and easiest option for a D40) get the Sigma 50mm HSM version (or you could manual focus with a Nikon 50 f1.8). And there is a little bit of PP on that photo too.

But other than that, I wouldn't know where else to point you to other than to experiment. Lowering saturation, increase sharpening, something like that maybe?

I've seen a thread on this technique fairly recently - either here or on Nikonians. Not much help for now, but I'll try and find it tomorrow :)

Back