Posing a large(ish) group - 6 adults, 5 kids

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to do a group shot for a friend.

The group consists of 6 adults and 5 children under 5 (ages 1,2,3,4 and 5).

I have a large hall in which to do the shoot with 3 flash heads, black and white paper backgrounds and a highlite background.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for poses. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I've been asked to do a group shot for a friend.

The group consists of 6 adults and 5 children under 5 (ages 1,2,3,4 and 5).

I have a large hall in which to do the shoot with 3 flash heads, black and white paper backgrounds and a highlite background.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for poses. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Probably wrong forum.

For me, I'd keep things simple and not try to be creative. Kids up front, adults at back. Get some safe shots, and then try to have fun with them.

Size of group, I think I'd want to have the option of PPing the backdrop - so my choice would be a white backdrop (plus families still like them - dispite what us togs think).

I'd shoot high (from a chair, step ladder).

Shoot flat lighting to rule out shadows from cross lighting. So lighting wise, one large softbox (300 watt+) on camera access (basically as near to camer), and the other two heads sorting out the backdrop.

Cheers.

Dav

Last edited:
Thanks Dav!

Pretty much what I was planning. We've got 2 hours so, as you say, get the safe shots first, then play.

2 hours would be perfect. I did a similar shoot just before Xmas in the space of an hour. That was pretty flat out.

Good luck fella!

Eeeek. I've got a group of 14 this month!!!

I did a similar shoot recently and used a paper backdrop (my hi-lite wasn't big enough) - I then bounced two of the flashes off the ceiling and one off the wall behind me. It worked a treat - no shadows whatsover although I did have to tweak the levels very slightly in CS4 to get the white background a little brighter.

I personally much prefer to use the location for group shoots, because they are there together for a reason, and the location gives the shot a context. A story. When they look back at the photo, they can remember when and where that shot was taken. But if they request a white bg shot, then give it to them. Just make sure there is no casting shadows on any of the faces.

I personally much prefer to use the location for group shoots, because they are there together for a reason, and the location gives the shot a context. A story. When they look back at the photo, they can remember when and where that shot was taken. But if they request a white bg shot, then give it to them. Just make sure there is no casting shadows on any of the faces.

A very valid point. Of course you'll have to have a backup plan for the weather.

The other thing is logistics. The village hall may be miles from a suitable location.

EDIT-> Also may be difficult with little ones.

I personally much prefer to use the location for group shoots, because they are there together for a reason, and the location gives the shot a context

I thought you meant a scenic location, as village halls don't normally provide great context.

As the original question was about poses I would suggest that you think triangles in terms of how you set them up.with that many people possibly consider tallest in the rear middle then cascade them on each side. If possible have one group at the back and another in front as long as their heights allow.

Hope you can understand what I mean. My friend Ron is distracting me! :)

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Back