Posing...

Name
Vishal
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All :)

I think i can take a fairly decent image when required and am quite confident in doing so....The thing i struggle with are poses....

I done a shoot for a MUA not long ago and i did struggle to try and pose the model differently....even though i ended up with a decent set of final images...i always tend to struggle on the posing front :( Does posing just come with experience? :thinking:

I've got another shoot coming up this weekend, so any tips would be most welcome :)

NOTE: this applies to portraits as well as weddings etc.....

Thanks in advance (y)

I look at a lot of pics, i see alot of good ideas, but sometimes its a little difficult to put into action on the day - my mind just goes blank! :)

If you search on here (can't remember which forum)there's a thread from about 6 months ago with lots of suggestions, including a pdf of poses by someone and 3 or 4 jpegs with a collection of basic positions from Hacker. Print those off as tick sheets, load them onto a smart phone, or stick them on a laptop as POAH suggests.

If you're feeling tongue tied you can always use the diagrams to illustrate what you are after to the model.

I remember seeing the PDF, as far as i can remember, it wasnt very good......

Loading stuff on the iphone could be a winner i suppose.... :)

I'll do another search and see if i can see Hacker's post....

Thanks Mark...

There are a couple of iPhone Apps available for poses, but they're barkingly expensive at $9.99 each!

For weddings, if you're looking for more posed shots then have a look at this.

I prefer a more informal approach but it's still very handy to have.

I'll have a looksie at some apps too, thanks....

Cheers Dave! Totally forgot about that book! I was meant to buy it ages ago, but nver got round to it! Wasnt there a second version of it too?

I'll have a looksie at some apps too, thanks....

Cheers Dave! Totally forgot about that book! I was meant to buy it ages ago, but nver got round to it! Wasnt there a second version of it too?

Not sure about that, there's a guide to posing, one for photojournalism and one for boudoir. As far as I know there's only one version, but I may be wrong.

Would be interested in knowing if you do find somewhere with some good model poses (y)

Generally I either write down ideas for shots, or draw a little diagram, or cut and paste pics, so I have an A4 sheet (or two) of ideas to use.

I'm in a similair position to you Vishal where I have got completely bored with the stand there and look at the camera type stuff.

Best place to research is posing brides, grooms, wedding groups for a starter. Wedding books provide some great tips.

Then get the tips, wait till you have some time to yourself, then practice the posing in a full length mirror at home. Sounds silly, but realising that telling yourself your head should be 'here' with your weight on your back foot, turning this way from the light and stuff like that should begin to make it second nature after a while.

Good luck!

Cheers Ian! :)

It was just generalised really, as i'm doing dribs and drabs of everything ;)

I've bought the wedding posing book which seems quite good, not had the chance to have a read yet though!

Back