Posiview's 'Costa Coffee 100' (DAY 100 ADDED), FEEL FREEEEEE TO COMMENT..;)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently doing another 52 and in a moment of madness, I've decided to start another project, but this one has been changed from a 52 to a 365.... :wacky:

I like Costa Coffee, a lot, so I've decided to incorporate it into a 365...:wacky:

So far I have 16 ideas and hopefully it will be a pleasing and learning experience.

Of course, any C&C would be welcome.

I didn't have intenet access over the weekend so to start with I'm posting one from my 52.

5398492358_5e7b6a7437_z.jpg

Last edited:
2nd Costa photograph.

After I uploaded tonight shots I realised I'd saved them in JPEG, which was a first and somewhat annoying because my pping was restricted.

Quite a few attempts at composition, but I think I got a decent one. I had one of them old black and white horror films in mind where the monster entered the room through the door and cast a long scary shadow.....:runaway:

With that in mind I wonder if I should have left the lid out??

My one real annoyance is the green cast along the top half of the photograph. I tried to sort it but couldn't.

Anyway, c&c welcome.

5429342744_1b8b51e940_z.jpg

Hi ya

thats some challenge you've set yourself there , look forward to seeing all your results :)

Like your 2nd idea & the Horror movie scene reference,it works well .Can't see the green cast you mention ? Maybe would be better without the lid & have this thought in my head .... I can see the same shot but with a slightly ajar door casting the light to add to the horror theme ? Does that make sense?

Good work & good luck with the rest (y)

Hi ya

thats some challenge you've set yourself there , look forward to seeing all your results :)

Like your 2nd idea & the Horror movie scene reference,it works well .Can't see the green cast you mention ? Maybe would be better without the lid & have this thought in my head .... I can see the same shot but with a slightly ajar door casting the light to add to the horror theme ? Does that make sense?

Good work & good luck with the rest (y)

Makes sense and one for the future...:D

Day 3.

First attempt at 'painting with light' or 'Light painting'?

Quite enjoyed this and took loads of photographs.

I had to shine the torch on the front of the cup and then swirl the torch around the cup.

I like the lighting from my cheapo torch, I quite like the blue (unintentional) colour cast.

I wanted a landscape shot but there was too much empty space to the right hand side so I edited it to portrait.

Wish I'd not covered the Costa on the lid in light.

It was f29 @ 10.8 seconds.

Cheers.

5429670746_1c5de0d33d_z.jpg

Day 4 and I thought I'd give my 50mm a go in the back yard.

I was looking for a discarded look and tried colour and black and white.

I wanted a close crop and I'm fairly happy with the composition, although I didn't quite get the focusing right on the text.

It was 250th @ f2.

Thanks for looking (and commenting...;)).

5433981722_b26ea6804b_z.jpg

5433372817_71b2b6596a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Day 6.

I was after a retro look; something like a 1950s movie star walking down the red carpet at a movie premiere...

Cheers.

5439117433_b727ea9dcd_z.jpg

Last edited:
Day 7.

A wet and horrid day...

Decided to use some of sugar from Costa for a change.

I was after a gritty feel and was getting wet so didn't take as much time as I would have liked.

5442045570_e22e28562e_z.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
What an interesting (and slightly crazy) theme for a 365!
The light painting one is brilliant (I'll have to try that myself sometime), and sugar one has got a great depth of field.

What an interesting (and slightly crazy) theme for a 365!
The light painting one is brilliant (I'll have to try that myself sometime), and sugar one has got a great depth of field.

Thank's Tim, you have to try light painting, it was great fun and my daughter is asking me every night before she goes to bed if we can do some more..:D

I'm also hoping to get some outside painting done on our next Leeds photography walk.

Crazy, indeed, I'm already struggling with time (but not ideas)!!

Cheers.

Day 8.

Very busy day so I didn't have time to do what I intended for today.

I thought I'd give my revering ring a try and photograph my Costa loyalty card.

Not too unhappy with it (it only cost about £3.00!).

Hand held - not good.
Indoor lighting - not good.
Not enough time - not good.

NB: just viewed on my work's PC and the handle at the top is barely visible...but it's there!!

Anyway here's my day 8. Here is a link to the full sized card: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.utalkmarketing.com/pages/fsImageResize.aspx%3Ffname%3D../UTMImages/16951-20100302-135612.jpg%26w%3D352%26h%3D249&imgrefurl=http://www.utalkmarketing.com/pages/Article.aspx%3FArticleID%3D16951&usg=__PE5zpTlnJ2czuXJotEo7L2UDT9Y=&h=220&w=352&sz=16&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=6rHl_whYTe5L-M:&tbnh=116&tbnw=186&ei=CKtZTd26McPChAeJqcTMDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcosta%2Bcoffee%2Bclub%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D677%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=585&vpy=220&dur=996&hovh=176&hovw=281&tx=97&ty=113&oei=CKtZTd26McPChAeJqcTMDA&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

5446470268_08d23b0c86_z.jpg

Last edited:
Day 9 and day 10.

My main problem so far is light. By the time I arrive home from work it's dark so I have to do inside photographs.

I didn't realise how much I'd struggle with time for this project. The temptation is to just do a quick snap shot of the underneath of the cup, or something as lazy as that.

I missed yesterday and couldn't again, get the photography I was after.

So here's the two I did instead:

With the first one I had my first go at photo stacking. Quite enjoyed it, although some parts of the image are blurred.

5452106216_df814d5217_z.jpg

Second one is another lightpainting attempt. Quite happy with the ight and colour. The Costa text is quite sharp, but it's quite noisey, I suspect due to post processing??

5452104586_00e25a4e3e_z.jpg

Last edited:
What a mad, and absolutely brilliant idea! :clap:

Great shots! I'm impressed with your imagination so far, takes a lot to create a different shot every day with the same object.

You know what? You need to bring your project to their attention at Costa Coffee and demand a years' worth of free coffees! :D

What a mad, and absolutely brilliant idea! :clap:

Great shots! I'm impressed with your imagination so far, takes a lot to create a different shot every day with the same object.

You know what? You need to bring your project to their attention at Costa Coffee and demand a years' worth of free coffees! :D

Thanks, Sanna, I need free coffee as It's a bit expensive having a coffee everyday (and buying a photography magazine as well:D)

Cheers.

No loyalty cards at Costa? :p

Day 11.

Up bright and early this morning for a day in York with my daughter.

I had a go at my 52 (delicate) but it wasn't happening so I did a 365 instead.

I noticed just after I uploaded to Flickr that I forgot to clone out the small stones I used to stop the cups rolling off the table!

I focused to the second from right cup, but didn't notice that the lettering on the cup was off so it looks oof (honest...).

5455804594_e19361e7af_z.jpg

5455807892_27e4ab3487_z.jpg

Cheers...and I just realised I'm a day behind!

Last edited:
Day 12.

Hi Andy, I really like your latest attempt, I like the way the red is coming across, nice and strong. The black and whit one is excellent, I think I prefer it with that little extra height that you have got in the b+w version. (y)

Thanks, Patrick, I agree that the colour one is a little too tight at the top.

Anyway, here's day 12.

I was walking through York with my daughter and she shouted, "Daddy, Costas!". She knows I'm a Costa freak and I'm doing this project.

Just a quick snapshot. She's eating a sausage sandwich and I didn't notice she looked away at the last second....:(.

5456220409_a9d3771191_z.jpg

Last edited:
Day 14.

Inspired by the Ali v Liston fight.

If I had more time, I've have liked to spend more time in post, bit I think I got the b&w conversion/grain as good as I could.

I also noticed after I'd uploaded to Flickr that the Costa on the cup isn't as visible as I'd have liked.

5461618445_d733c147cd_z.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
Day 15.

I upgraded my cup to a shinny new one (I know, sad, sad, sad....:shake:) and now look upon the old cup as the deposed King.

5468824300_6bf93199fc_z.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying this thread. Loads of creativity! You should email a forum link to Costa. :)

Day 16.

Only 2 blended photographs here...my wife's getting a bit annoyed with the Costa related stuff all over the house...:D

Cheers.

5471725758_6e4b34f637_z.jpg

Last edited:
This really is the most mental 52 I have ever seen! But you are doing great... when you are finished you need to send it to someone high up in costa... you never know the shots might become an add campaign and you could ditch your day job forever!!!

This really is the most mental 52 I have ever seen! But you are doing great... when you are finished you need to send it to someone high up in costa... you never know the shots might become an add campaign and you could ditch your day job forever!!!

OOOOooo, ditch my day job...:)

Cheers, just had a chat with my wife and kids and told them any ideas they have to tell me, I feel quite queazy when I think I have another 349 days to go....:puke:

posiview said:
OOOOooo, ditch my day job...:)

Cheers, just had a chat with my wife and kids and told them any ideas they have to tell me, I feel quite queazy when I think I have another 349 days to go....:puke:

Well, you can always do "in the style of" - it's a good way to learn techniques, study other photographers, and try something new!

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

great work so far! you better send your portfolio to costa at the end of 365 and we'd see all the artwork in the costa coffee shops!

This is my first venture into the 365/52 section of the forums and I think that your idea is absolutely brilliant. Going to watch in anticipation of the coming weeks.

Wow!

Mate, this is absolutely crazy!!! Do you carry cups around with you in your camera bag ?

Loving the ideas and I agree, send some to Costa to try and get some ads going - I personally would sent them after a month - tell them what you're doing and try and get some publicity from it!!

Incidentally, I was in Costa today - ordered a large latte and they gave it to me in this HUGE potty type bowl!!! Lovely though.

Keep up the good work - you must be a proper Costa addict!!

Anth

Still managing to keep this up, brilliant! ;) Liking the shot of the cups on the stairs. You must spend a fortune in Costa!

Wow!

Mate, this is absolutely crazy!!! Do you carry cups around with you in your camera bag ?

Loving the ideas and I agree, send some to Costa to try and get some ads going - I personally would sent them after a month - tell them what you're doing and try and get some publicity from it!!

Incidentally, I was in Costa today - ordered a large latte and they gave it to me in this HUGE potty type bowl!!! Lovely though.

Keep up the good work - you must be a proper Costa addict!!

Anth

Cheers, guys.

It can be expensive, I'm weak and when I get a coffee I always buy a magazine so a £3.00 coffee ends up costing £7.00 :crying:

The ideas are coming easily at the moment, skip forward a few months and things may be a bit more difficult...

And I always have cups in my car:bonk:

Cheers.

Back