Possible dumb Q on tethered shooting

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Is tethered shooting possible with a Canon 5D

If so.......will someone kindly tell me what software will capture the image if the usb or AV lead was used.

Thanks

I had a sinking feeling someone would say that :eek:

My box for the 5 is in the loft along with the unopened cable and software set......Can someone confirm that the supplied software will allow it before I risk the loft :D

Yup! It will. I used the one from my 400D and then updated via the Canon site, works fine.

OK then.....the loft ladder is going to get some use

can someone describe the tethered set up process and what kit your using? I'm hoping to use a lappy to start with or maybe get one of those little aspire1 net books.
or if it uses the AV cable I'd like to use one of those little portable dvd players with the screen.

How long will the image stay on the screen for after it's been taken?

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww DF is going to do homebrew pr0n

i think you can set your parameters for how long it stays there, my muck producing amigo, at least i think so!

I've only ever used it on my 30D! I connected it with the USB cable, fired up the EOS utilities software...chose remote shooting, then it brings up a virtual LCD panel on your PC screen where you can change all the settings...shutter speed, ISO, aperture and so on..then click take if I remember correctly :LOL:

You can do time lapse too automatically with it as well I think :) Although I can't remember anything else you asked...:p

I want it for bird photography actually my smutty minded Admin colleague

I'm hoping Rosie Robin and Sophia La Wren will stay around the feeding station a bit longer if they don't think I'm pointing a howitzer pointing at them.

Does the camera shutter button still work while tethered?

If you were shooting portraits could you shoot with the camera and just refer to the screen for how the shot looks instead of the LCD

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sounds like a classic case of RTFM

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL: I'm sure he would have done, had it no been still wrapped in the loft :LOL:

digitalfailure - Yes you can still operate the camera as per norm! If you have DPP open, pictures should show up as you take them :)

The Canon manual doesn't cover software, I suspect the software manual is a pdf on the disc.....which as Purple says, is still in the loft as I've never used Dpp

Yup you need the CD manual to tell you how to shoot tethered. It's not that difficult honestly. You can even use the software to shoot tethered into Lightroom if you want. personally I simply shoot canon tethered and then import.

OK then.....the loft ladder is going to get some use

can someone describe the tethered set up process and what kit your using? I'm hoping to use a lappy to start with or maybe get one of those little aspire1 net books.
or if it uses the AV cable I'd like to use one of those little portable dvd players with the screen.

How long will the image stay on the screen for after it's been taken?

I run a Asus eeePC 701 but only downside is res at max is 800x480 which is not high enough for Canons software. I just need to get a virtual screen expander.

birds...right..

you can download DPP from canon i think, im sure i have done that before

Thanks for the replies chaps.....i'll get those downloaded this afternoon and have a wee play.

Does it focus via the PC?

It will auto focus via the camera but the software will not allow you to adjust focus.

Back