Possible gumtree scam?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Twice now I've come across camera bodies on gumtree that i was intersted in which were fairly local to me, so I've text, asked the basic questions etc and then when it comes to arranging to view the cameras it turns out their in completely different parts of the country and claim a mistake was made.

First time i didn't think anything of it but twice in as many days just seems a bit funny to me. Has anyone else came across this?

Well I guess that's the scam then..

"I could have it delivered if that helps? Thanks"

Just received that after saying basically thanks anyway.

I've used it for power tools in the past no problem but first time for electronics, id only be interested in a face to face sale from there anyway so their scam isn't going to be successful just annoying to waste my time.

I have used gumtree to buy either in person or had something delivered. You obviously have to be careful if it is an expensive it.

I've bought and sold loads on Gumtree, always face to face, and never had any issues.
There is no protection for buyers or sellers, so I wouldn't buy anything and have it posted, unless it was low value and I was prepared to take the risk.

Gumtree can be a place to buy and sell as long as you keep your wits about you, and do deals face to face. That being said - always meet in a nice crowded area - not some distant car park.

Any portable high value item like a camera then I always email them and ask if I can come and see it. Never had a reply yet, and the ad disappears. There are loads of dodgy ads for motorhomes and campervans up here in the Highlands, since they think people will buy without travelling to see them. Mind you, eBay is almost as bad for phantom motorhomes, but a request to come and see it makes them disappear as well.

Any portable high value item like a camera then I always email them and ask if I can come and see it. Never had a reply yet, and the ad disappears. There are loads of dodgy ads for motorhomes and campervans up here in the Highlands, since they think people will buy without travelling to see them. Mind you, eBay is almost as bad for phantom motorhomes, but a request to come and see it makes them disappear as well.

Yea it seems to be soon as I ask about when I can come to view that it suddenly turns out their 150 odd miles away from where the advert originally said.

I've gone and have a look and both of them have vanished now.

I always think how do they ever manage to get any as seems crazy to me to just send money to some random off a site like that but was chatting to a plasterer just the other day who lost a lot of money with something similar on a pick up, he's an old boy and the whole internet scams is just not something he'd ever even thought about.

I have sold several high value items on Gumtree - mostly personal meet ups at work or home. However, I did manage to sell my GX1 camera body to a chap in Scotland - he paid via Bank transfer - after thoroughly checking each others credentials and speaking on a landline etc....Clearly he took a small risk - but I shared my Ebay and forum trading links with him for verification and he was happy to proceed.

I have seem scams - e.g.. cars at considerably lower than normal asking price - only to be told that the seller was a nurse doing voluntary work in Africa or Nepal etc, blah, blah, blah...you can guess the rest...

I always think how do they ever manage to get any as seems crazy to me to just send money to some random off a site like that but was chatting to a plasterer just the other day who lost a lot of money with something similar on a pick up, he's an old boy and the whole internet scams is just not something he'd ever even thought about.

People are so used to buying stuff online that some of them don't think twice before sending the money. Only needs a few 'marks' a week and the perps are quids in.

From what I've read over the years doesn't seem like the police have much interest in it either so seems like these scammers have pretty much free rein to do it.

I found a well priced add for D800 a few days back. It was just up the road from me also, I had a little hunt through eBay and found the exact same photos used in the gumtree ad for a camera on the other side of the country.

Someone had simply nicked the photos and put the camera up for such a bargain price that I think they hoped people would just send the money straight away. Reported to Gumtree and it disappeared shortly after

I've sold a couple of cars via Gumtree, which worked ok. I once found a bargain on the opposite side of the country, but the buyer seemed genuine over the phone and it wasn't an expensive purchase, and thankfully it arrived a couple of days later. I'd like to think my scam radar is sufficiently well attuned to prevent me making an expensive mistake.

I've bought and sold on Gumtree, always face to face. When selling I've always had time wasters & stupid offers via text or email but I just ignore them, all the legitimate buyers have been really nice people. Same with the people I've bought from, including some camera kit at good prices.

Common sense and making your own checks. I was so desperate for a film camera a few years ago and found it 100 miles away. Checked out the people, spoke to them on the phone and they posted it fine. Had some good stuff from Gumtree but you have to check where you are going etc.

Valid cases aside, you would be amazed at how crass or greedy many people are when it comes to getting ripped off. The I'll give you this £500 watch for £10 so I can get petrol, I'll sell you this £60,000 Range Rover for £25,000 cash, meet me in the layby on the A1, etc etc.

Back